Foscam R2 reboots until reset

ocyberbum

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello, I have an odd problem with my Foscam R2 camera, I have 8 other cameras that work fine but this camera is not anymore, I have 3x fi9900p, 2x fi9803p, 1x fi8906w, 2x fi8918w, 1x R2 now and ordered another. I originally had the R2 cam connected using a 25ft Ethernet cable to one of the Trendnet 8 port switches that is connected to my Fios Router.. I used this since last October and didn’t have any issues until now. This month I decided to rewire everything and run cat6 cable through the attic to all my other cameras since they were mostly wifi and I was having connection drops with them on BlueIris. The R2 was always connected by a network cable and when I ran the new cable through the attic to it the camera started cycling off and on. It would start up, spin around, and as soon as it says its connected.. it reboots. I tried using the old cat cable I had and it did the same thing, if I leave the cat cable out it doesn’t do it but as soon as you plug it in it cycles again. The only way to get it to work and connect is to connect the cat cable, power it up and hard reset it while its booting up and it will work fine, I can assign it a static ip, reboot it etc until it loses power or the cat cable is disconnected. I tried assigning it a different static Ip and that didn’t work (All my cameras have a static ip). Foscam support said to change the p2p port and that seem to work but the next day when I unplugged the network cable it started again so I ordered a new switch a Netgear 24 port switch (gs324) and a new R2 Camera and it does the same thing and I can’t figure out why this 1 camera out of the other 8 is having the issue after buying a new one and replacing the switch. Could there be a conflict with another camera? I checked all of them and they all have different static ips and ports. I have tried having the Fios Router DHCP assign the R2 cam an ip to see if that matter but it doesn’t. All my cameras have the latest firm ware so im just not seeing where the issue is.. any ideas or info you can give would be appreciated

Update: For anyone else having a similar problem I was able to fix it, time will tell but I figured it was conflicting somewhere so I went into settings/network and changes the Http: port to the one I setup as static, Changes Https Port:, changed Onvif Port:, and disabled P2P and/or Upnp and it seems to be working

Last edited:

69ragtop

n3wb
Reaction score
I know this is an old post but did your reboot problem stay away?

EDIT: A Foscam R2C was rebooting every 45-60 seconds. It did not do this during setup. I installed it yesterday and added it to Blue Iris. I shutdown Blue Iris completely and did not access the camera in any way. Still rebooting. I reset it to Factory Defaults then left it alone again. Still rebooting.

I was going to replace the power supply but that is difficult due to its location so I was trying other things.

I was watching the firewall and noticed some NTP traffic being blocked. What seemed to finally fix it was changing the NTP server from auto to time.windows.com. This may have been a coincidence but it stopped rebooting. I restarted Blue Iris and still no rebooting.

I am just putting this out there in case anyone is beating their head against the wall.

EDIT2 - ok - it was just a coincidence. The R2C is back to rebooting every minute at the exact same time. I am open to suggestions.

Last edited:

iTuneDVR

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Can you check at your router how many connection to your ipc?
When it not connected to internet they reboot too?

69ragtop

n3wb
Reaction score
There are occasional reboots but the symptom of rebooting every minute appears to start happening sometime after 8 PM. There are no connections to the internet at the time.

I guess I will swap it with another one new out of the box to see if it is just this one unit.

69ragtop

n3wb
Reaction score
I finally got around to swapping the camera for one new out of the box. It looks like I just had a defective camera. The 2nd one is working fine with no reboots using the same power supply in the same location.

Thanks for the help.

Jack0121

n3wb
Reaction score
.....Update: For anyone else having a similar problem I was able to fix it, time will tell but I figured it was conflicting somewhere so I went into settings/network and changes the Http: port to the one I setup as static, Changes Https Port:, changed Onvif Port:, and disabled P2P and/or Upnp and it seems to be working
I just had a similar (if not identical) problem after nearly 4 years of using an R2 on Ethernet only. I never got it to be stable on WiFi, and wanted at least one wired camera in case WiFi failed. It was solid while it lasted. After the reboot loop, I reset it, but never got it to stay on long enough to change settings or troubleshoot.

In addition to sending over 900 false email alerts when it rebooted constantly over several days, the cycling of its infrared lights triggered motion alerts from another IP cam in the same room. Almost funny, but I risked being accused of spamming by my ISP. The endless reboot repetition of "Hello Foscam....." may have baffled neighbors in earshot. I wish that feature was controllable.

Jack0121

n3wb
Reaction score
FYI, I tried that with mine to make sure it wasn't network-related, but the same reboot cycle happens roughly every minute. Something is wrong internally. Will save the cam as a decoy for now.

iTuneDVR

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
FYI, I tried that with mine to make sure it wasn't network-related, but the same reboot cycle happens roughly every minute. Something is wrong internally. Will save the cam as a decoy for now.
You need ttl2usb adapter, open your ipc & connect ttl from ipc to your pc. Using PuTTY get bootlog with some reboots & put here this file.

Jack0121

n3wb
Reaction score
You need ttl2usb adapter, open your ipc & connect ttl from ipc to your pc. Using PuTTY get bootlog with some reboots & put here this file.
I'm not at that level of inclination but will keep the camera for later tests. It has a serious look about it when used as a dummy, but wouldn't be plugged in.