Fox with Mange

ctgoldwing

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have been recording clips of the various critters that come into the woods near us. We have had fox 'families' den in the same area for many years now. In previous years I had a dslr set up in the house with a long lens and was able to snag many images of the families.
This year with the camera mounted in the woods I see they are back again. However one looks like she definitely has mange. A real sucky parasite infestation that will eventually cause the death of the fox. She has already lost all her tail hair and some of the hair on her hind quarter.

Fox and mangy mate

It's a pretty terrible thing to get and in researching it discovered that our dogs heartworm meds contain the drug that will kill the mange parasite - Ivermectin

So today I took a couple of salmon patties and put them out there with a piece of the med on top. Supposedly it is very effective. I'm sure I'll see who actually eats it (my dogs like it).

1583868651691.png

ctgoldwing

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Didn't take long. This evening the fox with mange showed up. He first took the salmon burger on the left:
fox picking up burger with meds on top 1

I couldn't really tell if the meds went with him. . . Then he came back for the one on the right:
Fox with mange picking up 2nd burger

He drops one of the patties - it was a double - but comes back later to pick it up. I think he took the meds with him. Now its up to him, I did what I could :)