FPS ???

Reaction score
Not mad, I like my 6 Amcrest cams I got on Amazon for home & the 11 for our store. However,,

WHY are almost all Amcrest cameras only 15fps?? AND I keep seeing the AMCREST MODEL: IP8M-2597EB-28MM at 30fps for $114.00 On the Amcrest.com site and Amazon but NONE available ??

I have to go "off brand" to another or pay 300.00 for 30FPS ??? seems like bad business if someone really knows what their looking for (like I do now lol)

TIA

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Those really in the know won't be buying Amcrest or running higher FPS (with a few exceptions) :lmao:

Mainly because Amcrest are consumer grade cameras and with folks chasing MP over performance, to keep the cost down they are putting higher MP on sensors designed for lower MP cameras.

As such, the little processor can't process higher MP and higher FPS. One or the other....

Plus, those of us that really know what we are looking for are not going to chase FPS and we chase sensor size.

Shutter speed is more important than FPS. I capture plates at 8FPS and the plate is in and out of the field of view in about a half second (so I capture 4 frames) because I am using the correct shutter speed for the task at hand.

I bet every camera you got is on a MP/sensor ratio that is in the red and as such will perform poorly in low light:

1711678081986.png

We are not making Hollywood movies with these things.

These types of cameras are not GoPro or Hollywood type cameras that offer slow-mo capabilities and other features. Some "offer" 30FPS and 60FPS to appease the general public that thinks that is what they need, but you will not find many of us here running more than 15 FPS; and movies are shot at 24 FPS, so anything above that is a waste of storage space for what these cameras are used for. If 24 FPS works for the big screen, I think 15 FPS is more than enough for phones and tablets and most monitors LOL. Many of my cameras are running at 12FPS.

Sure 30FPS can provide a smoother video but no police officer has said "wow that person really is running smooth". They want the ability to freeze frame and get a clean image. So be it if the video is a little choppy....and at 10-15FPS it won't be appreciable. My neighbor runs his at 30FPS, so the person or car goes by looking smooth, but it is a blur when trying to freeze frame it because the camera can't keep up. Meanwhile my camera at 15FPS with the proper shutter speed gets the clean shots.

We wouldn't take these cameras to an NBA game to broadcast, nor would we take the cameras they use at an NBA game to put on a house. Not all cameras are alike and the approach of "a camera is a camera" mentality will result in failure. Another example, I can watch an MLB game and they can slow it down to see the stitching on the baseball. Surveillance cams are not capable of that. You need to find a camera for the intended purpose.

Watch these, for most of us, it isn't annoying until below 10FPS

Reaction score
Those really in the know won't be buying Amcrest or running higher FPS (with a few exceptions) :lmao:

Mainly because Amcrest are consumer grade cameras and with folks chasing MP over performance, to keep the cost down they are putting higher MP on sensors designed for lower MP cameras.

As such, the little processor can't process higher MP and higher FPS. One or the other....

Plus, those of us that really know what we are looking for are not going to chase FPS and we chase sensor size.

Shutter speed is more important than FPS. I capture plates at 8FPS and the plate is in and out of the field of view in about a half second (so I capture 4 frames) because I am using the correct shutter speed for the task at hand.

I bet every camera you got is on a MP/sensor ratio that is in the red and as such will perform poorly in low light:

View attachment 190868

We are not making Hollywood movies with these things.

These types of cameras are not GoPro or Hollywood type cameras that offer slow-mo capabilities and other features. Some "offer" 30FPS and 60FPS to appease the general public that thinks that is what they need, but you will not find many of us here running more than 15 FPS; and movies are shot at 24 FPS, so anything above that is a waste of storage space for what these cameras are used for. If 24 FPS works for the big screen, I think 15 FPS is more than enough for phones and tablets and most monitors LOL. Many of my cameras are running at 12FPS.

Sure 30FPS can provide a smoother video but no police officer has said "wow that person really is running smooth". They want the ability to freeze frame and get a clean image. So be it if the video is a little choppy....and at 10-15FPS it won't be appreciable. My neighbor runs his at 30FPS, so the person or car goes by looking smooth, but it is a blur when trying to freeze frame it because the camera can't keep up. Meanwhile my camera at 15FPS with the proper shutter speed gets the clean shots.

We wouldn't take these cameras to an NBA game to broadcast, nor would we take the cameras they use at an NBA game to put on a house. Not all cameras are alike and the approach of "a camera is a camera" mentality will result in failure. Another example, I can watch an MLB game and they can slow it down to see the stitching on the baseball. Surveillance cams are not capable of that. You need to find a camera for the intended purpose.

Watch these, for most of us, it isn't annoying until below 10FPS

Thanks for all that!! Well said..

Most all my newer cams are the
IP8M-2796EW-AI
or the 5mp AI Amcrest ones, And I DO Like them.. The 15fps are nice for the driveway and yard etc. at night too..
I have just been looking for something for the "street/car" views for night and I was thinking the EmpireTech IPC-Color4K-X 8MP 1/1.2” CMOS would be the best?? I just never thought of it like that I guess,, as I never really seem an "Shutter Setting(s)" on any cameras,, I did thought on two off brand H-vishion I sent back after researching brand, rebranded compatibility etc. However ya, I know from photography how important shutter speed is, I just never related it to CCTV / IP security caams until now..

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So are the cameras on default/auto settings?

If so don't be fooled by the nice bright static image at night. Motion will be a blur/ghost.

Shutter needs to be set to a minimum of 1/60s to start to minimize blur of a person slowly walking, but you need much faster shutters to freeze frame.

What is the goal for the 4K/X - as an overview or to IDENTIFY and if IDENTIFY, how far away? If beyond 15 feet to IDENTIFY, then it is the wrong camera.\

See this thread for the commonly recommended cameras (along with Amazon links) based on distance to IDENTIFY that represent the overall best value in terms of price and performance day and night.

The Importance of Focal Length over MP in camera selection

Reaction score
So are the cameras on default/auto settings?

If so don't be fooled by the nice bright static image at night. Motion will be a blur/ghost.

Shutter needs to be set to a minimum of 1/60s to start to minimize blur of a person slowly walking, but you need much faster shutters to freeze frame.

What is the goal for the 4K/X - as an overview or to IDENTIFY and if IDENTIFY, how far away? If beyond 15 feet to IDENTIFY, then it is the wrong camera.\

See this thread for the commonly recommended cameras (along with Amazon links) based on distance to IDENTIFY that represent the overall best value in terms of price and performance day and night.

The Importance of Focal Length over MP in camera selection
Great Point(s) and THANKS. !!
Two questions if you would be so kind...

(1) I searched but can't find a " commonly recommended cameras (along with Amazon links) " so far lol still looking :)

(2) I would or rather WILL get the larger sensor, lower MP with higher shutter speeds if I could just get the f'ing Motion Detection to work on my Dahua-5232NVR with ANY other camera then Amcrest or Dahua, I have yet been able to set motion detection on ANY ONVIF camera... Am I missing something?? lol I have searched and I guess have not found the correct fix/info yet, In fact I was just going to post that question in/under another topic..

(I have a 6mp "Anpviz" wide angle 155FOW right here) it's the only camera so far that I can adjust the FPS on .. I'm sure after researching I will find something even better though but does me no good if I can't get them to record (lol go newbee right)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
(1) Click the blue wording in my post above or the blue post here and it is the 2nd post.

(2) It is best to do as much of the settings in the camera as you can. Depending on the motion setting you are trying to use (AI IVS) you may have exceeded the NVR capacity with cameras that can do the motion detection themselves.

To get into the camera GUI from the NVR, you need to first access the NVR GUI by going to a computer and opening up a browser (preferably Internet Explorer but Pale Moon will work as well) and type in the IP address of the NVR and login that way. Next go into the camera settings page on the NVR and look for the Microsoft e Web Browser and select it and it will go to the camera GUI (photo credit bigredfish from his PSA thread). Your screen may look a little different to get into the camera gui and see if doing it this way gets you access to some other features the NVR is blocking - do not worry about the Port number and circle as that was from another issue someone posted.

1711683783526.png

Reaction score
(1) Click the blue wording in my post above or the blue post here and it is the 2nd post.

(2) It is best to do as much of the settings in the camera as you can. Depending on the motion setting you are trying to use (AI IVS) you may have exceeded the NVR capacity with cameras that can do the motion detection themselves.

To get into the camera GUI from the NVR, you need to first access the NVR GUI by going to a computer and opening up a browser (preferably Internet Explorer but Pale Moon will work as well) and type in the IP address of the NVR and login that way. Next go into the camera settings page on the NVR and look for the Microsoft e Web Browser and select it and it will go to the camera GUI (photo credit bigredfish from his PSA thread). Your screen may look a little different to get into the camera gui and see if doing it this way gets you access to some other features the NVR is blocking - do not worry about the Port number and circle as that was from another issue someone posted.
Thanks again for the reply, ya I got all that down as I have been working with the camera and NVR GUI's for a while.. It's the 5 series Dahua (5232) and I have tried almost everything IVS and Alarm Motion however it seems the NVR just will not record the camera (except on continuous manual record) even with IVS it's like the ONVIF is just not sending a trigger to the NVR ???? I will keep hunting. If you have any thoughts they are much appreciated :) I am so tired of this (although being kind of techy, there is still a ton I don't know! and I do love learning this) yet at the same time I am about to offer a reward for the solution lol
For example (besides a couple of newer off brands) I have some older 1080p Q-see (Dahua rebranded POE IP's) I would love to use without continuously recording .... I am starting to get into learning the basic commands sent to and from the cameras, so well see, I just finely registered here and am starting to read up on everything so maybe I just need time to figure stuff out :)
I tend to overthink stuff too, so the problem could be right in front of me and very simple too LOL I have a smart/dumb toggle switch thing going on :)
Tks wittaj

Reaction score
Are you sure the NVR is set to record motion? SETTING -> Schedule-> Record.
Make sure it's not Motion & Alarm "M&A"
Yep, I have tried it every way (combination) possible! ... I have sat here for hours this NVR will NOT record motion from ANY NON-Dahua/rebranded ONVIF camera!! only records when set to manual eg:24/7
It really sucks too very irritating LOL
I found a thread on something similar here: [restart fixed, but unknown cause] Crippleware [or bug] by Dahua? Motion Recording was disabled for all non-Dahua IP cams on Feb 27, 2024

Thanks for the reply btw :)

Reaction score
:thumb: Just order one (And Thanks!) and an EmpireTech IPC-Color4K-T 4K Full-Color Ultra Low Light 8MP Smart AI Starlight Turret IP Camera 1/1.2" It's 8% off on Amazon .. and next month I'm going for dule lens T180 !!
Thanks ,ya .. it took a lot of reading to get/get caught up on the knowledge (and still a lot t o learn) but ya.. Now if I can just find someone as unresearched/dumb as I was to buy the Amcrest camers from me lol hehehe .. ill list 2 or 3 on ebay :)

Revo2Maxx

n3wb
Reaction score
Not all cameras will work with Motion, my 5232E-16P works with Dahua, Amcrest, Hikvision, LTS, Lorex, Alibi, and a few others that are Hikvision OEMs that I can't remember the names.. But don't work with my Amcrest 850EB PTZ lol. Anyway I am using the last offered Firmware. So might be a Firmware issue if you are still on an older offered FW.. Just an idea. I do remember there was 1 FW I was on that cameras that were already connected and working had stopped motion recording. Even went as far as Resetting back to factory. As I said after an update the motion detection started working again. I don't remember what version it was. The NVR is older so has had a few updates..

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Even if we were, Hollywood tends to record movies at just 24 fps. Even they don't use 30 fps.
Yep. I stated in the next paragraph "movies are shot at 24 FPS, so anything above that is a waste of storage space for what these cameras are used for. If 24 FPS works for the big screen, I think 15 FPS is more than enough for phones and tablets and most monitors LOL. "