[restart fixed, but unknown cause] Crippleware [or bug] by Dahua? Motion Recording was disabled for all non-Dahua IP cams on Feb 27, 2024

aforum

n3wb
Reaction score
1. Did Dahua push a stealth "crippleware" update?
2. How can I re-enable Motion Recording (yellow bar playback) on my IP cameras?
3. After #2, please explain how to setup IVS on my IP cameras? Thank you.

On Feb 27, 2024, after 7:30AM – the Motion Recording (the yellow bar) was disabled on all my IP cameras (which are non-Dahua, but which showed the Yellow motion bar for years, without any special setup). But my Analog cameras still show Motion Recording.
  • I did not change settings using an app. I did not touch settings directly on the NVR or cameras. And I dont believe I changed anything on PC, using Smart PSS.
  • I only discovered the error in March, when using Smart PSS > search > playback Feb 26 then 27 – to see the yellow bars were missing (disabled) for all IP cams, while Analog still show the Motion alert-bars.
  • BEFORE:
  • IP cam used to show Yellow alerts.png
  • IP cam recording schedule - has MD on.png

• AFTER:
  • cam car drove by no Motion for IP cam.png
  • cam Motion record works.png
  • cam Motion record doesnt work.png

Then I searched for an answer before posting, found this guy who posted on Feb 27, also said his Motion recording was turned off.
No motion detection recorded only 24/7 (Posted Feb 21)

It is suspicious to me that Motion Recording was disabled on my IP cams because last year I complained to Dahua tech about false advertising about the XVR – since they said that advertised features would not work on IP cams with their NVR unless I got Dahua IP cams.
  • They said I had to use their Dahua IP cams/AI chip to communicate correctly with my XVR, to get the advertised Motion Recording. I said that answer was illogical because my non-Dahua Analog cameras get Motion Recorded by the XVR fine, when they don't even have AI chips. (Thus the camera was not the issue, but that they coded the XVR to ignore features from non-Dahua IP cams, which were advertised as compatible with Dahua XVRs.)
  • (So if this change affected many users on the same day, could it indicate that they pushed a Crippleware update to disable features for IP cams?)

Info:
  • XVR > Penta-Brid XVR5116H-X
  • Smart PSS (PC) > Software version V4.001.0000001.0, Build 2020-09-08
  • I didn't install any Firmware or program updates.
  • Checked logs on Feb 27. Didnt notice anything sus except something about “S.M.A.R.T”
  • Im guessing that is related to the Harddrive settings? 6TB > checked health > says ok.
  • The IP cams have their own AI chips to detect movement, and even can draw boxes around humans. (This box this works (displays on the vid feed). But it seems Dahua disabled the Motion Alert from being communicated to the XVR, for playback.)

• I read the post below, checked his pics and my settings to confirm my settings are correct. Still after settings confirm, IP cam won't show SMD (yellow bar) – yet Analog cam does. (I tested by using Smart PSS > Playback > play Analog and IP camera at the same time > car drove by > Analog showed Yellow bar but IP cam did not (which used to detect car movement prior to Feb 27).
  • How to setup Motion Recording on IP cams
Please help, or if anyone also had features suddenly disabled, give the date and model #.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That post you linked isn't the same issue - that post was user error changing things in the app.

You said your cameras are non -Dahua - how do you know the non-Dahua cams were not hacked?

Of course support is going to tell you it only works with their cameras, but if the cameras are Dahua OEM or ONVIF compliant then they will work as you found out.

I am leaning towards being hacked or the NVR updated or rebooted and changed settings or you accidentally changed settings unintentionally like the post you linked.

Many people use non-dahua cams with their NVR and we would have seen issues by now if they pushed out a crippling update.

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
No, Dahua didnt send you crippleware in the middle of the night.

You have to setup MD on the IP camera itself. NOT the XVR.
The camera will typically override most settings you make on the XVR when it reboots for any reason.

You cant treat IP cams the same as analog cams. ALL settings should be done on the camera interface itself.

Of course it is possible if you are port forwarding that your IP camera has been hacked.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
1. Did Dahua push a stealth "crippleware" update?
2. How can I re-enable Motion Recording (yellow bar playback) on my IP cameras?
3. After #2, please explain how to setup IVS on my IP cameras? Thank you.

On Feb 27, 2024, after 7:30AM – the Motion Recording (the yellow bar) was disabled on all my IP cameras (which are non-Dahua, but which showed the Yellow motion bar for years, without any special setup). But my Analog cameras still show Motion Recording.
  • I did not change settings using an app. I did not touch settings directly on the NVR or cameras. And I dont believe I changed anything on PC, using Smart PSS.
  • I only discovered the error in March, when using Smart PSS > search > playback Feb 26 then 27 – to see the yellow bars were missing (disabled) for all IP cams, while Analog still show the Motion alert-bars.
  • BEFORE:
  • View attachment 190289
  • View attachment 190290

Then I searched for an answer before posting, found this guy who posted on Feb 27, also said his Motion recording was turned off.
No motion detection recorded only 24/7 (Posted Feb 21)

It is suspicious to me that Motion Recording was disabled on my IP cams because last year I complained to Dahua tech about false advertising about the XVR – since they said that advertised features would not work on IP cams with their NVR unless I got Dahua IP cams.
  • They said I had to use their Dahua IP cams/AI chip to communicate correctly with my XVR, to get the advertised Motion Recording. I said that answer was illogical because my non-Dahua Analog cameras get Motion Recorded by the XVR fine, when they don't even have AI chips. (Thus the camera was not the issue, but that they coded the XVR to ignore features from non-Dahua IP cams, which were advertised as compatible with Dahua XVRs.)
  • (So if this change affected many users on the same day, could it indicate that they pushed a Crippleware update to disable features for IP cams?)

Info:
  • XVR > Penta-Brid XVR5116H-X
  • Smart PSS (PC) > Software version V4.001.0000001.0, Build 2020-09-08
  • I didn't install any Firmware or program updates.
  • Checked logs on Feb 27. Didnt notice anything sus except something about “S.M.A.R.T”
  • Im guessing that is related to the Harddrive settings? 6TB > checked health > says ok.
  • The IP cams have their own AI chips to detect movement, and even can draw boxes around humans. (This box this works (displays on the vid feed). But it seems Dahua disabled the Motion Alert from being communicated to the XVR, for playback.)

• I read the post below, checked his pics and my settings to confirm my settings are correct. Still after settings confirm, IP cam won't show SMD (yellow bar) – yet Analog cam does. (I tested by using Smart PSS > Playback > play Analog and IP camera at the same time > car drove by > Analog showed Yellow bar but IP cam did not (which used to detect car movement prior to Feb 27).
  • How to setup Motion Recording on IP cams
Please help, or if anyone also had features suddenly disabled, give the date and model #.
Hi @aforum

How is this going ?
Still an issue ?
Did you resolve it ? ( if so what was the analysis and results )

Thank you

aforum

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi guys, thanks for the replies and checking on me.

Dumb question - have you tried restarting the NVR?
UPDATE 1 - fixed Summary
UPDATE 1: Restarting the NVR FIXED it - now the IP cams show yellow Motion bars using SmartPSS. Thank you, (But below, i'll explain the notes/bugs/suspicions.)
  • Please correct me, what does Dahua call the yellow Motion bars? MD or SMD? And does that refer to SIMPLE Motion Detection or SMART Motion detection?

Do you believe the NVR has an auto-update feature enabled?
That would be unusual, in my experience.

Dumb question - have you tried restarting the NVR?
1) I dont believe the NVR was auto updated. I checked before posting. The last firmware date says 2020.
  • When I first got the NVR, I turned off auto update using the NVR interface.
  • Now when I checked using SmartPSS (PC), auto was on, even tho I unchecked it before posting.
  • Regardless, the date says 2020. So that would indicate it was not updated, unless it is a stealth update that will not show [an updated date].
  • auto update but no recent update B.png
  • And since again unchecking auto, I went back to the IP cams > web interface > checked that Motion and Region are on > still no Motion Recording is being shown on SmartPSS > Playback.

how do you know the non-Dahua cams were not hacked?
  • Unlikely. The IPs are all different brands, different passes,
  • They are behind a POE filtered Switch,
  • Logs showed no illegal logins around Feb 27
  • yet all stopped showing Motion Recording on the same day.
  • How else can I check for illegal logins/hacking?

UPDATE 1 - fixed but Notes/bugs/suspicions?
NOTES 1:
  1. Before posting OP, I logged in the web interface of IP cam 10. It showed the Detection area setup correctly with the Red boxes. Yet still would not show Motion Recording on SmartPSS. So I posted OP. IP cam 10 - detection area was Red (before restart) but not working.png
  2. Yet today, I logged in the web interface of IP cam 11 (which also has an SD card and AI chip to record its own Motion Clips). This cam shows all the old Motion Detection bars from prior days after Feb 27, that SmartPSS is refusing to show.
  3. SmartPSS refuses to show Motion recorded on IP cam B.png .
  4. BUT I checked the Detection area (for IP cam 11, using its web interface and SmartPSS), and all the Red boxes were erased (sus). [To clarify: for a month?, the Red boxes were erased (as "shown" on the SmartPSS interface and IP cam's - web interface), BUT this IP cam was still detecting Motion and writing to its SD card. This indicates to me that the IP cam WAS correctly detecting motion (even with the Red Detection area "appearing" as "erased" when I checked using SmartPSS), but that SmartPSS or something reset or disabled its Motion from being communicated to SmartPSS/Dahua NVR. ~~~~~ Also to be clear: "The camera will typically override most settings you make on the XVR." I had not logged into IP cam 11-interface for months, thus I do not believe that I nor anyone reset the Red detection area - by using the cam's web interface. (And for months prior, I didn't touch/change the Red-detection setup for these IP cams using SmartPSS either.) ~~~~~ So to confirm: before posting, IP cam 10 had Red boxes "shown" (I checked), but IP cam 11 had Red boxes erased (I didn't check before posting) - while cam 11 was still detecting/recording Motion to its SD card, and while SmartPSS would not "show" Motion recording for both IP cams 10 and 11.)] .
  5. sus detection area was erased (yet detection was working on IP cam SD card).png.
  6. So today, I again drew in the Red boxes (detection area) for IP cam 11 (and I again checked that IP cam 10 still had Red boxes). But SmartPSS still refused to show Motion bars > at Playback > after a car went by (while the Analog cam showed the Motion bar).
  7. (Also remember before posting): For IP cam 10, I already confirmed that the Red Detection area was setup correctly - yet SmartPSS still refused to show Motion bars > at Playback.)
  8. So I restarted the NVR today. Now the Motion Recording (yellow bars) are showing on SmartPSS > Playback > for all IP cams.
  9. What can cause this (detection area ignored for IP Cam10, and "erased" for Cam11 - without me changing anything)? (My question to everyone after you read my answers above. Ty.)

Or if UPnP is enabled.
  • I'll check this next. Ty.

Attachments

Reaction score
Hey, I glad I found this thread! I have been having the same problem!

I just two months ago got an Dahua 5232 NVR and I did turn off auto update as I like to update everything firmware related on anything myself,
I did update the NVR (Before) I connected all the IP cams.. (6 Amcrest 4k (new) and two 3rd party and two older Dahua rebranded (Qsee) cams.. NONE of the NON-Amcrest/Dahua cameras will record Motion or IVS, (ONLY continuous recording) I have just tried two more ONVIF cams (Anpviz) that go here yesterday and same thing .. It's driving me nuts!

Do you guys think it's firmware update to be attempt to get ppl to stay with their line & rebranded line??

just fyi..... with that NVR I have 32ch's and like 300mbs+ bandwidth and I got one 24 and one 8 port Netgear POE Switch's.. So I figured with that to play with, I would like to use 9 old 1080p poe IP cams mounted on a pole overlooking the city (i'm on a hill)

Any Thoughts?
TIA ! :)

O and PS, Networks I know well, so I made sure UPnP was off (was by default) and changed every cam port (after initial setup) etc etc.. and even turned on the integrated MAC Filter, so I don't think i have been hacked (eeee? lol)

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi guys, thanks for the replies and checking on me.

UPDATE 1 - fixed Summary
UPDATE 1: Restarting the NVR FIXED it - now the IP cams show yellow Motion bars using SmartPSS. Thank you, (But below, i'll explain the notes/bugs/suspicions.)
  • Please correct me, what does Dahua call the yellow Motion bars? MD or SMD? And does that refer to SIMPLE Motion Detection or SMART Motion detection?

1) I dont believe the NVR was auto updated. I checked before posting. The last firmware date says 2020.
  • When I first got the NVR, I turned off auto update using the NVR interface.
  • Now when I checked using SmartPSS (PC), auto was on, even tho I unchecked it before posting.
  • Regardless, the date says 2020. So that would indicate it was not updated, unless it is a stealth update that will not show [an updated date].
  • View attachment 190335
  • And since again unchecking auto, I went back to the IP cams > web interface > checked that Motion and Region are on > still no Motion Recording is being shown on SmartPSS > Playback.

• Unlikely. The IPs are all different brands, different passes,
  • They are behind a POE filtered Switch,
  • Logs showed no illegal logins around Feb 27
  • yet all stopped showing Motion Recording on the same day.
  • How else can I check for illegal logins/hacking?

UPDATE 1 - fixed but Notes/bugs/suspicions?
NOTES 1:
  1. Before posting OP, I logged in the web interface of IP cam 10. It showed the Detection area setup correctly with the Red boxes. Yet still would not show Motion Recording on SmartPSS. So I posted OP. View attachment 190336
  2. Yet today, I logged in the web interface of IP cam 11 (which also has an SD card and AI chip to record its own Motion Clips). This cam shows all the old Motion Detection bars from prior days after Feb 27, that SmartPSS is refusing to show.
  3. View attachment 190341 .
  4. BUT I checked the Detection area (for IP cam 11, using its web interface and SmartPSS), and all the Red boxes were erased (sus). [To clarify: for a month?, the Red boxes were erased (as "shown" on the SmartPSS interface and IP cam's - web interface), BUT this IP cam was still detecting Motion and writing to its SD card. This indicates to me that the IP cam WAS correctly detecting motion (even with the Red Detection area "appearing" as "erased" when I checked using SmartPSS), but that SmartPSS or something reset or disabled its Motion from being communicated to SmartPSS/Dahua NVR. ~~~~~ Also to be clear: "The camera will typically override most settings you make on the XVR." I had not logged into IP cam 11-interface for months, thus I do not believe that I nor anyone reset the Red detection area - by using the cam's web interface. (And for months prior, I didn't touch/change the Red-detection setup for these IP cams using SmartPSS either.) ~~~~~ So to confirm: before posting, IP cam 10 had Red boxes "shown" (I checked), but IP cam 11 had Red boxes erased (I didn't check before posting) - while cam 11 was still detecting/recording Motion to its SD card, and while SmartPSS would not "show" Motion recording for both IP cams 10 and 11.)] .
  5. View attachment 190342.
  6. So today, I again drew in the Red boxes (detection area) for IP cam 11 (and I again checked that IP cam 10 still had Red boxes). But SmartPSS still refused to show Motion bars > at Playback > after a car went by (while the Analog cam showed the Motion bar).
  7. (Also remember before posting): For IP cam 10, I already confirmed that the Red Detection area was setup correctly - yet SmartPSS still refused to show Motion bars > at Playback.)
  8. So I restarted the NVR today. Now the Motion Recording (yellow bars) are showing on SmartPSS > Playback > for all IP cams.
  9. What can cause this (detection area ignored for IP Cam10, and "erased" for Cam11 - without me changing anything)? (My question to everyone after you read my answers above. Ty.)

• I'll check this next. Ty.

One thing I have found over the years is that as soon as you attempt to make setting changes from multiple inputs, from the NVR interface, to the camera interface, to DMSS, to SmartPSS, things WILL mess up.

What happens is that the devices dont all synch up well. (firmwares change over the years and compatibility becomes an issue)
When the NVR is rebooted, the NVR synchs with all connected Dahua cameras and pushes what it thinks is the right configuration. If you make a change, or in some cases merely view settings in say SmartPSS, it will temporarily override the settings. But as soon as the camera or NVR is rebooted, it will revert back as the NVR gets the last word..(at least on Dahua NVRs with internal PoE switches)

This is why I always advise making ALL setting changes on the direct individual camera GUI itself. Upon Save/Refresh from the camera, the camera will push them to the NVR and the NVR will adopt those settings as gospel. ALWAYS hit Save/Refresh before leaving a tab and do it 2x-3x each setting change to insure the "push" back to the NVR occurs.

The only changes that should be made on the NVR are the Master Recording schedule and high level system functions. SmartPSS should not be used to make ANY setting changes. Its a great Live Viewer/Playback/Downloading Clips app, Full Stop.

Reaction score
One thing I have found over the years is that as soon as you attempt to make setting changes from multiple inputs, from the NVR interface, to the camera interface, to DMSS, to SmartPSS, things WILL mess up.

What happens is that the devices dont all synch up well. (firmwares change over the years and compatibility becomes an issue)
When the NVR is rebooted, the NVR synchs with all connected Dahua cameras and pushes what it thinks is the right configuration. If you make a change, or in some cases merely view settings in say SmartPSS, it will temporarily override the settings. But as soon as the camera or NVR is rebooted, it will revert back as the NVR gets the last word..(at least on Dahua NVRs with internal PoE switches)

This is why I always advise making ALL setting changes on the direct individual camera GUI itself. Upon Save/Refresh from the camera, the camera will push them to the NVR and the NVR will adopt those settings as gospel. ALWAYS hit Save/Refresh before leaving a tab and do it 2x-3x each setting change to insure the "push" back to the NVR occurs.

The only changes that should be made on the NVR are the Master Recording schedule and high level system functions. SmartPSS should not be used to make ANY setting changes. Its a great Live Viewer/Playback/Downloading Clips app, Full Stop.
Interesting .. that is VERY good to know, I will keep that in mind, Thanks :)

aforum

n3wb
Reaction score

This is why I always advise making ALL setting changes on the direct individual camera GUI itself. Upon Save/Refresh from the camera, the camera will push them to the NVR
and the NVR will adopt those settings as gospel. ALWAYS hit Save/Refresh before leaving a tab and do it 2x-3x each setting change to insure the "push" back to the NVR occurs.

Thanks for telling us this.
And to clarify, I dont think I or anyone made changes to the IP cameras using any NVR interface. (I checked the logs and didn't find anything except the S.M.A.R.T. entry, whatever that means?)
But if someone can tell me anything else to check for in the logs (which specific category?), then I can check again. (But I did check "All" and didnt notice anything within the first day, unless it started at another day.)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Nope. It sounds like as @bigredfish said that you were making changes in the NVR instead of the camera and then on a reboot it pulled from the camera and it was different than what you set on the NVR.

aforum

n3wb
Reaction score
I did update the NVR (Before) I connected all the IP cams.. (6 Amcrest 4k (new) and two 3rd party and two older Dahua rebranded (Qsee) cams.. NONE of the NON-Amcrest/Dahua cameras will record Motion or IVS, (ONLY continuous recording) I have just tried two more ONVIF cams (Anpviz) that go here yesterday and same thing .. It's driving me nuts!
Thanks for your post. So you did update the NVR, and then non-Dahua IP cams would not work (with motion detection)?
Or did the non-Dahua IP cams ever work (with motion detection)?

If you want, post your Manufacture list (Cam > Channel list for IP cams). But blur out the exact ports and serials of the cams. Meaning tell me if you setup the cams using "Private" or "ONVIF."
  • Because my non-Dahua cams that have an AI chip, and Motion worked, but then stopped working (OP topic) - they were setup using "ONVIF" Manufacture.
  • But 2 other non-Dahua cams (not issue of OP), that have an AI chip - never recorded motion, they have a weird port #, and I had to set it up using "Private" Manufacture. (Thus this may be setup wrong, and you/I might be able to get Motion to record by using the correct ONVIF and port setup.)
  • So log in your cams that arent recording motion > web interface. Look for the ports setting Tab. And try those different ports at the Channel setup + try using ONVIF.
Do you guys think it's firmware update to be attempt to get ppl to stay with their line & rebranded line??
I am suspicious and think yes, based on my talks with official Dahua tech support. I think it is intentional or an unfixed bug.
I think it's silly that cams with AI chips arent working (Motion detection) if they are non-Dahua. And they werent shy about their excuse that this is "industry standard" (doesnt make it legal). "ONVIF" is an international protocal and they could easily issue a Firmware update to tell the computer in my NVR how to interupret the cam feed to get processed the same way that their Dahua cams get processed by the NVR.

aforum

n3wb
Reaction score
Nope. It sounds like as @bigredfish said that you were making changes in the NVR instead of the camera and then on a reboot it pulled from the camera and it was different than what you set on the NVR.
So any suggestions on which Category to re-check in the logs? I want to rule out bug, user error, or hacking. Ty.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for telling us this.
And to clarify, I dont think I or anyone made changes to the IP cameras using any NVR interface. (I checked the logs and didn't find anything except the S.M.A.R.T. entry, whatever that means?)
But if someone can tell me anything else to check for in the logs (which specific category?), then I can check again. (But I did check "All" and didnt notice anything within the first day, unless it started at another day.)
Or SmartPSS Or DMSS

aforum

n3wb
Reaction score
Just use ALL.

Frankly the Dahua NVR logs don’t provide much
Clarification. I used SmartPSS > logs; I didnt check logs on the actual NVR interface. Is that what you mean (that the NVR version isnt helpful)? Ty.