Front door - placing a camera near a light source

jb007gd

n3wb
Reaction score
I'd like to get a camera near eye level on my front door. Thing is, I've got those two lights right about where I'd like to have a camera.
These lights are on at night to illuminate the front yard.
If I were to install a camera near those lights, would I run the risk of creating glare and ruining the video feed?
IMG_20180813_174025.jpg

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I'll bet you'll be just fine. I have my garage cameras mounted just 16" below two coach lights with 1600 lumen bulbs.

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It is oblique enough to the lights that you should be fine.
If not, you can add shadow masks on the fixtures to block direct illumination of the camera.

jb007gd

n3wb
Reaction score
It is oblique enough to the lights that you should be fine.
If not, you can add shadow masks on the fixtures to block direct illumination of the camera.
What are these shadow masks you speak of, @guykuo ? And would you recommend mounting the camera between the lights and the mailbox?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The best advice is probably to experiment with different options. Decide what works, what you want to see, and what you like best.

I know we often suggest an in your face camera at a choke point just like many major retailers have been doing, but it isn't your only option. You could put a camera farther away and zoom in significantly (could require a special cam with more zoom eg *Z5E) and get a similar view. Depending on all the angles and the zoom level it might not see as well under hats. However this sort of approach can be very effective if someone thinks that they're far enough from the camera that the don't need to bother hiding their face or you mange to capture a nice face shot before they even notice the cameras.

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
First off, you have a beautiful home. I love the cedar siding and the architecture. I think @guykuo meant that you can put a piece of sheet metal in the light fixture to keep light from shining directly on the camera. I would test this out with a temporary test rig like most of these guys recommend in other threads. We have seen cameras mounted right next to bright lights and you would never know by looking at the camera's view at night.

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Exactly. In my case, the camera was looking out between two lights that are about 12 feet in front of the cameras. Massive glare at night because the lights were nearly in the line of sight. Couldn't see anything beyond the lights, but some strategically placed bits of aluminum foil in the lamp glass blocked the glare. I think the lamps, in this case, are far enough off angle that the glare shouldn't be too bad. It all depends on how the lamp hits the lenses themselves.

jb007gd

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you @bababouy for the compliment! We love the nuances of the old house - vaulted ceilings and built in cabinets and whatnot. Thank you and @guykuo for the advice on how to move forward. Andy sent me a second camera that should arrive tomorrow, so I'll get to experimenting with camera placement! :)