Front door - what lens?

ck42

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Any recommendations for the lens for a front door cam? (2.8, 4, 6, etc)
This cam would be primarily for seeing walk-up, package drop-off. Want to make sure I get good image of faces too.

Should I avoid 2.8mm for this application?
If I should, then the issue I have is that most cameras I see online are with 2.8mm. I'd like to stick with either Hik or Dahua....but open to others as long as the price is similar and work well with BI.

gmaster1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So a while ago I used a 2.8mm and was generally dissatisfied (all depends on the layout of your entrance!!!!!) I was able to see the faces of people at the door, but it wasn't wide enough to capture packages.

I tried a $70 fisheye unit with well thought out IR design and am extremely happy. Again, this unit worked for me to be able to see all of the possible areas where a package could be dropped off yet still deliver sharp focus on anyone at the door.

s-l500.jpg

ck42

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What is that??? (Vendor/model)
Is it an IP camera? Price?

gmaster1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If you search eBay for "Fisheye IP Camera" You'll see them splattered about. Name brands didn't give me want I needed: Outdoor, PoE (this one didn't have that, but splitter works fine), Super wide angle, IR-Cut, IR that wasn't in a dome, At least 2MP, Under $100 -- The IR was always the deal breaker when I searched. I was pretty skeptical when looking at the pictures of it online but honestly it works very well.

**Individual results may vary**

I keep saying that because I don't know the measurements of your entry and what you have for mounting points etc. 2.8 may be just fine for you which REALLY opens up your options (Hik turret, for example, is ideal option in my opinion if you can get away with it.)

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
4mm should be good. 6mm is pretty narrow. I had a 4mm and had about 65% of my porch covered. Now that I have 6mm I get about 35% covered since its a smaller picture but the detail on the 6mm is even better then the 4mm especially when it comes to facial recognition. Luckily my porch is an old brick/concrete block and in order to get onto the porch to the door, you need to walk thru a door sized opening so its a natural choke point. I have a 4mm on each side of that door so ideally I get the entire yard as well as the front by using all three cameras. And the two on the sides will still capture anyone trying to access the front door by sneaking over the side of the porch by walking alongside the house.

Def stay away from 2.8mm. Not good at all. Only time I'd use a 2.8 is to catch a broad area of the yard and front of the house after I have a 4 or 6mm cam installed at the door.

gmaster1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
"Luckily my porch is an old brick/concrete block and in order to get onto the porch to the door, you need to walk thru a door sized opening so its a natural choke point."

"Def stay away from 2.8mm. Not good at all."

Communication skills are strong in this forum..

So my *individual results may vary* extends to PSPCommOp's contribution. Measure and play with the online FOV calculators if you have the time and want to learn a little more about lens sizes etc before purchasing, but just keep in mind before any of that gets posted and calculated you'll have people trying to ironically and blindly limit your options right out of the gate. :) Up to you to either provide pictures of your entry and what you would like covered, or measurements, etc.

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
"Luckily my porch is an old brick/concrete block and in order to get onto the porch to the door, you need to walk thru a door sized opening so its a natural choke point."

"Def stay away from 2.8mm. Not good at all."

Communication skills are strong in this forum..
Apparently I'm missing something?

gmaster1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes. Don't dismiss 2.8 entirely without knowing any measurements or physical limits :)