Frosty Vandal

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Just put up my inflatable frosty and not even a half hour later some kid decides he needs to destroy it. Thanks to my numerous cameras and LPR it was easy for the police to find him! What I'm most upset about is it was an "old school" inflatable with a large fan and not the cheaply made ones you get now.

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I hope you can tell us they police actually did something....or the kids parent's owned up and make it right.
Police are great here and were eager to go find the kid. Sounds like his parents were not happy and offered to make him pay for a replacement. So we will see how that goes. As long as they make me whole I’m good. Only benefit to pressing charges would be restitution but if we can both skip the headache and I get it replaced I’m good. Still disappointed that the new inflatables are so cheaply made!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am glad to hear that the police took care of this. And I bet these kids won't make that mistake again.

Part of the problem with our police - they let these things go and then the kids continue and get worse. Nip it now and they won't do it again.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Looks like a drunk mailbox checker as he seemed to check your mailbox 1st then, attack the light then think it's funny to jump onto frosty.

I'm guessing the PD will probably just give them a warning. Lets hope they at least make them pay for the damages.

It's a pity you didn't do this:

Reaction score
Part of the problem with our police - they let these things go and then the kids continue and get worse.
It's not so much the police is it is the prosecutors. They are the ones that make the decision to let these kids off.

Great cams and dialed in nicely.

It just baffles me that these kids do this at 8:00pm? Such a chance that they will get caught by just about anyone in the hood. And for the driver to get out and do it? Think of the time it would take for him to get back in the car and drive off if you or someone else came along. They should take his license away. There should be some kind of law that states kids under a certain age, if they are using the car for crime, they lose their license for a few years.

Many years ago we had a group of kids egg houses in our subdivision. They egged mine at about 1:00am but I was up still. There were seven kids in a small hatchback and they had eight dozen eggs and were going around egging houses and cars. Well they did not know the subdivision very well and I chased them into a dead-end street. Thye pulled into a guy's driveway and I blocked them in with my car. The guy came out of his house and I told him what happened and he called the police. All the driver could talk about to the other kids was he hoped it would not increase his insurance.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Punks. Either the kid's drunk, high or developmentally disabled/disadvantaged, judging by his gait as he heads to tackle Frosty.

Regardless, I think it's fair that he spend the next four Saturdays raking leaves, picking up litter and limbs and emptying trash at a local public park......I've volunteered my off-time chaperoning similar up-and-coming punks that were caught tagging our street lighting and traffic signal poles with graffiti in the city where I was the signal & lighting maintenance supervisor.

I truly enjoyed watching their dour faces show up and spend their entire day doing nothing that they enjoyed. It wasn't my place but I couldn't help but speak to one of the little shitbirds...he kept whining and moaning about being there and I pretty much reminded him that it was HIS fault, HIS actions and the more he complained the more stuff we'd find for him to do. He finally shut up and got with the program.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Punks. Either the kid's drunk, high or developmentally disabled/disadvantaged, judging by his gait as he heads to tackle Frosty.

Regardless, I think it's fair that he spend the next four Saturdays raking leaves, picking up litter and limbs and emptying trash at a local public park......I've volunteered my off-time chaperoning similar up-and-coming punks that were caught tagging our street lighting and traffic signal poles with graffiti in the city where I was the signal & lighting maintenance supervisor.

I truly enjoyed watching their dour faces show up and spend their entire day doing nothing that they enjoyed. It wasn't my place but I couldn't help but speak to one of the little shitbirds...he kept whining and moaning about being there and I pretty much reminded him that it was HIS fault, HIS actions and the more he complained the more stuff we'd find for him to do. He finally shut up and got with the program.
Awesome story! I'm glad you talked to them.

Society today teaches these punks that they did nothing wrong. Nobody is accountable for their actions anymore. Hopefully you made the difference in one punks life!

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
I helped stop this kind of "kid stuff", I was a Scout Master and recruited from
not the best of schools, Santa Anna Ca.

Sometimes a small communication problems arose because the Vietnamese could not speak
Spanish and etc. But, they all had fun and became one of the best troops in Orange County California.

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
So I spoke to his dad on the phone this morning. He seemed ashamed for him and said they had a long talk. He was insistent that reimbursement was coming out of his kids own pocket. Kid came by this afternoon to apologize and gave us cash to replace frosty. Awkward apology, but an apology none the less!

We have a good group of neighbors and it was a mixed bag of charge him or not. Ultimately he did a dumb thing and I’d like to think he didn’t expect the thing to pop. I was satisfied with getting reimbursed and moving on. As you guys have already mentioned the prosecution would likely not result in anything worthwhile. PD was more than willing to charge him if I desired. Now if he came up with a knife and slashed it I’d be more apt to say screw you enjoy a charge.

I also posted this on the Christmas lighting forum I’m on and now everyone wants to know about my camera system. Everyone is impressed with the clarity of the plate captures! Everyone at work thinks I’m nuts for so many cameras!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk