Full Monitoring/Recording vs Motion/Trigger and BlueIris vs NVR Package

collomd

n3wb
Reaction score
OK, so I am reading the information on the various packages and NVR systems, and it sounds like their software sucks, and BlueIris is a much better option on that front - but I may have a slightly different usage scenario.

We will be using this for our preschool building, and although we will want to use the security cameras after 6 pm for normal "motion based" security type stuff, what we really need it for is monitoring and recording what happens inside the classrooms (kids = constant motion). We want a live feed into a monitor for all (or as many as possible ) cameras on dedicated monitor/tv, and also constant recording of everything for open hours (6am - 6pm). We will occasionally want to go back and watch what happened at X time and date if needed.

Is a homebrew BlueIris system up to this task, it seems to get all its performance from smart detection minimizing the load of all the video streams? Or do we go dedicated NVR, and if so is GW worth the extra $ vs a Lorex or Amcrest system?

Anybody here have a similar business case?

Thanks for any help...Dave

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
How many cameras, in total are you planning? Blue Iris is theoretically capable of 64 maximum, I believe, but it's fairly unusual to have a system bigger than 32 cameras on BI from what I've seen.

BI can easily configured to record continuously for part of the day and on motion only the rest of the time, but it is "best practice" to record everything 24/7. That guarantees capturing everything and not relying on motion detection being triggered. Sometimes things do happen.

I have a "homebrew" BI system currently supporting 15 cameras. It's an older generation CPU and BI, utilizing the substream feature, hardly loads it at all. BI is far more "powerful" than an NVR and has the advantage of being able to work with just about any camera available today that provides an RSTP stream. Motion detection in BI can be a bit of a challenge depending on each camera location, what kinds of motion they "see" and how sensitive you want that detection to be. It can be a balancing act that takes a little time. A BI system can be much more easily expanded, both with cameras and drive space for additional video storage. With an NVR you are locked in to using the same brand of camera as the NVR to be able to use all the features of the system.

Last edited: