Full System Upgrade

YYZed

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Update!

The official camera #1 at the front door has been installed. This is the 2.8 version of the mini dome. We (wife and I) tested both the 2.8 and 3.6 in horizontal and corridor mode and the 3.6 was just too tight for what we want to see. It's mounted with the camera lens set in horizontal at forehead level and I'm 6' tall. We have a wall that sticks out on either side and the 2.8 sees from the edge of the opposite side door frame to the wall it's mounted on, waist to top of head. We figure anyone from 5'0" to about 6'5" will get in the frame for easy identification. We'll adjust as needed, of course. The other three cameras on the front patio will capture them from other angles and zooms. I'm not that far into it, but I have an idea to make sure we get an ID from at least two of the three others (one is an overview).

IMG_7861.jpg

Last edited:

YYZed

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Busy busy busy!

The last few days I’ve worked on a checklist of things so that I’m chunking something off each day. Every camera has had its own challenge, so I have to do my best keep on a realistic schedule especially when it involves being out in the heat.

I have five mounts for turret cameras up and ready to receive cable. Three of them are in existing spots on the front entry way from the old system, and two are mounted over the driveway (left and right) at a lower height of no more than 8’ just at the top of the garage door. My wife liked the location because they don’t stand out, and even though someone could reach them I’m willing to take that risk for ID purposes and coverage. These aren’t expensive cameras and if someone really wants to mess with them, then have at it because you’ve been caught in the process. Other than getting through the stucco, these were ideal locations because there is nothing but a 4x4 and open air between the studs behind it. Basically, very easy to access and run cable.

F1EAD669-301E-4290-97B3-4C2B314EDC72.jpeg

I fully mounted and cabled two cameras in the garage (3.6 mini dome at the back doors, and mini PTZ in the car bay). The first PoE switch is also up and starting to do its job. The PTZ took a little extra work because I had to mount a board below and between the joists to have a solid mounting point and to get them out of the frame. Easy, but still extra time.

Lots more to do! I’ll try and have cabling run for three cameras by the end of the night.

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Nice job @YYZed! You might be tempted to paint-spray the camera mounts in the same (egg yellow?) paint color of your walls, making them "blend" in more.

Keep us posted on the follow up!
CC

YYZed

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Nice job @YYZed! You might be tempted to paint-spray the camera mounts in the same (egg yellow?) paint color of your walls, making them "blend" in more.

Keep us posted on the follow up!
CC
I thought about painting them, but the white matches a lot of the white accent work around the house. I should have clarified, but sticking out meant that they aren’t physically sticking out of the garage exterior wall that faces the street. We have yet to install lighting on the driveway and my wife agreed that one less thing on those walls would look better. The cameras are now at a much better height, angle, and are not fully exposed to the elements, so it’s a win-win-win in my book.

Time to go get dirty! That cable doesn’t run itself. Oh and good news, the front door camera is now permanently wired. That was my project last night that I chose because...air conditioning :)

YYZed

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I finally got a good look at what my current cameras see when a delivery driver comes up to my door from the street to pressing the doorbell. Now I'm excited to do the rest because I finally have the opportunity to monitor activity from start to finish. Had I not been looking at the cameras or he rang the bell I would have never had known he had come. Dang modern insulated house! Not that I'm complaining in the heat...

YYZed

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have successfully installed all of the cameras for first half of the system! I think I have them all aimed to our liking and we've been able to see what it looks like in real time and via replay when people come on to our property from street level all the way to the front door. I know Ring is like a taboo word around here, but I also installed the Pro version doorbell camera and honestly it works pretty well. Obviously the Dahua cameras kick its tail for quality, but for the VERY quick motion detection and a second lower angle at the front door, I'll take it.

We had a grocery delivery today with a mother and young daughter, and you should have seen the girl's reaction to all the cameras. I'm sure they have visited their share of homes with various forms of surveillance, but I would be willing to bet that they have come across very few with the amount of cameras that I have up. Maybe one or two, but not the six (and the Ring doorbell makes it seven) that recorded their every movement from curb to the front door. It was a proud moment to see them all working in tandem. The best thing about this system in comparison to the old POS that wasn't installed by me, is that nothing is permanent. Cameras can be moved, angles can be changed, and the focal length zoomed in or out.

I should have all of the remaining equipment for the second half delivered sometime this week. This part involves running several hundred feet total of ethernet cable through the conduit system as well a making changes along the way. I think the furthest camera is about 150-200ft away from the point of entry into the house because it has to make its way around to the front and there's no easy way to get there. Because of the placement of these cameras I'm also opting to have some exposed weather-resistant (UV and waterproof) cabling where needed. I decided to forgo adding any additional conduit since I don't need the vandal resistance. The cable should handle it and I'll do my best to make sure it's all sealed up well along with drip loops.

Seven cameras need to go up for a total of eight more channels because of the dual mini starlight cam for one area. I'll keep you all updated!

Last edited:

YYZed

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Camera #9 is up and running! This is officially the first camera for the back system, and it's one of two that is utilizing a junction box left over for one of the old cameras. It's not the best setup, but it is functional and pretty well sealed once the edges of the camera base have been siliconed. It will never see any direct rain unless some blows in. I wouldn't have used a bullet otherwise, but it gets the job done just fine and it was way less of a process to get it mounted.

I also had to move the entry point into the house because the old one was very poorly planned and unusable for the upgrade. The new one is in a much more convenient location and it helps to conceal all of the cabling into a closet like it should have been from the start. The cabling itself is being terminated to one of these nifty little 8 channel patch panels - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QJD23KB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I could have opted for a rack mount model of some sorts, but this allows me to have more slack in the end of the cable as well as being able to work on it outside of the closet, which is way less confining. From there it's a patch cable up to the switch.

IMG_4905.JPG.jpeg

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

YYZed

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have one channel left to get a cable through the conduit and I had a thought...I have four hummingbird feeders in my backyard and I just had to do a little test with a 2231 camera this evening. I'm debating whether do use one of these or get another mini dome PTZ so that I have the chance to use it for more than the feeder. Thoughts anyone?

Oh and apologies for the dead grass. We are going to redo the backyard and there was no point in watering it anymore. The next outdoor project of mine is ripping it all out.

TEST_TEST_main_20190823185110.jpg

YYZed

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just answered my own question about it. Since this camera won't be recording then there is no point in sticking anything more than a 2231 up there. Plus I have a few mounts floating around ready to go!

YYZed

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It's official - ALL OF THE CAMERAS ARE MOUNTED AND RUNNING!

Well that was a marathon. I'm not 100% done, but the task of getting them up and going is now complete! My wife and I pulled all of the cable through the conduit system without any problems. I think it took us about 4 hours (with a lunch) to get cable for 7 cameras completed. I had 100 ft of fish line and two of them came close to using it all, with the others being about 75 ft or under. In total with infrastructure upgrades, patch cables, and the cameras themselves, there's at least 1000 ft of Cat6 running all around my house. Every end for every cable was terminated by my well-used hands.

16 cameras were installed for 17 total channels. Here's what I ended up using -

(9) HDW2231R-ZS
(2) HDW2231T-ZS
(2) HDBW4231F-AS mini wedge dome (2.8 and 3.6)
(1) SD1203T-GN
(1) HDW5231R-Z
(1) HDBW4231F-E2-M/M12 (3.6)

Mounts used were a mixture of PFA137, PFA130-E, PFA139, and PFB203W. I had two spots where the bullet cameras are at where I used an existing junction box from the old system.

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Very nice! I’m up to 17 cameras myself on Blue Iris. What USB over Ethernet adapter did you use? I want to run about 60ft from my machine to my office across the house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YYZed

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Very nice! I’m up to 17 cameras myself on Blue Iris. What USB over Ethernet adapter did you use? I want to run about 60ft from my machine to my office across the house.

This one - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CZC8728/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have around 50ft on it with absolutely no problems at all.

I know you didn't ask, but I have this mouse attached to it and I want to give it a two thumbs up because it really does work on every surface. We have a coffee table with wood and glass panes and it moves between the two like it was nothing - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M0S6MSK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Thank you! Ordered the adapter! I have the Logitech MX Master mouse and love it! Works on up to three devices so I can hit a button and switch from my laptop to BI.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This one - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CZC8728/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have around 50ft on it with absolutely no problems at all.

I know you didn't ask, but I have this mouse attached to it and I want to give it a two thumbs up because it really does work on every surface. We have a coffee table with wood and glass panes and it moves between the two like it was nothing - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M0S6MSK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Yes that is what I have at 50ft. Works great.

I use this mouse/keyboard and the mouse is great. I was going to use the MX as backup when I don't need the keyboard but that mouse worked so well I never bothered.

What are the specs of your computer?

Years ago when I was running BI4 on a I7 I was maxing it out with 6 3mp hiks.
I was wondering this myself. I am figuring he has some major performance tweaks on cams to have them all running smoothly without too much CPU usage.