David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Last edited:

mattp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Oh its real....its real real and very disturbing
I've seen the 14k figure before but never that high.
About 15 years ago a friend bought a Prius. I asked about the battery. He said they last at least 10 years. It did. But it went out. It's only something like 3k for a new battery. But with labor it's around 5k. So, the car is totalled. It runs on gas, but nobody will ever replace the battery.
It's a great boon for the car companies...but like a lot of the green energy things nobody wants to discuss the trade offs.
The converse is that those same people never want to discuss the possible good things that could come from extra co2 or an increased temperature.
Unfortunately people like to have there opinions assigned to them...they just don't realize it's happened...or care to bother with critical thinking...that's even more disturbing, IMO.

mattp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
^keep in mind the prius hybrid battery isn't as capable as a full blown electric vehicle either, so $5k for that battery could easily be $14k for a non hybrid car.
100% agree. I was just giving some anecdotal information.
I've seen that 14k somewhere else for someone replacing a battery in a used Tesla they bought, but never seen 26k before. That seems high for a Volt.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Don't know the accuracy, but I seem to recall someone telling me the volt did just about everything proprietary and non standard so to fix it is expensive.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
My guess is that he wanted his dinner to be hot and spicy but he forgot to turn down the heat and in turn it became "extra" hot and spicy and ruined his appetite
WOW!! I bet the chemical fume smell was ungodly intense!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

mattp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I;ve heard a number of anecdotal stories about the cost of batteries being in the $15K to $25K range for a true EV. Even $5K for a hybrid battery seems awfully steep to me.
5k was the installed price IIRC, but the point still stands a 15 year old Prius is pretty much totalled. We traded in my wife's 2007 Toyota, and that thing will be running longer than I'll be alive.