FYI for Android users who have upgraded to Android 12 and use VPN

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
The T620+ is what I run pfSense on. I have cable internet (but nothing close to 1gb speeds) and it handles it fine. That being said, it's a pretty old setup at this point and while it is rock solid, I might be tempted to buy a newer model instead of the older T620+. FYI - I paid $90 for my T620+ and another $55 for the intel card three years ago (but that was before COVID price craziness). You do need the "plus" model because it has the larger case that allows for a PCI card. The regular t620 is smaller can doesn't allow for a NIC card.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The T620+ is what I run pfSense on. I have cable internet (but nothing close to 1gb speeds) and it handles it fine. That being said, it's a pretty old setup at this point and while it is rock solid, I might be tempted to buy a newer model instead of the older T620+. FYI - I paid $90 for my T620+ and another $55 for the intel card three years ago (but that was before COVID price craziness). You do need the "plus" model because it has the larger case that allows for a PCI card. The regular t620 is smaller can doesn't allow for a NIC card.
Why 4 ports on the T620+, out of curiosity?
I mean...I am leaning towards pfSense. So will have lots of researching to do (hardware and software).

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Why 4 ports on the T620+, out of curiosity?
I mean...I am leaning towards pfSense. So will have lots of researching to do (hardware and software).
Well the t620 only comes with one network port. A router needs at least two ports (one for WAN and one for LAN), so I had to buy a network card. The price difference between a 2 port NIC and a 4 port NIC was very small and the 4 port NICs were definitely more abundant at the time (I have no idea what COVID might have done to the availability of the NICs). While I only use 2 of the 4 ports in my current setup because I let my managed switch handle my VLANs, it's nice to know I have options (extra ports) available should I want to change my network configuration in the future.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
FWIW.... You can buy a netgate pfsense appliance with 3 years extended warr for under $400
We have bought a few. I still like the fanless for home. One of the guys bought a fanless for $200,
I guess it works ok. Only has 2 ethernet ports.

Extra ports allows me to have separate networks for home, guest, IOT, cameras, and I have a separate port for my wireless links.

NickTheGreat

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I've also been unable to VPN in since I got my new phone last summer. I also have the Ubiquity USG Router and Android Phone situation.

I'm definitely not a network engineer and stumbled through getting my Unifi stuff all situated. Assume that I'm happy enough the way things are, what is the easiest way to be able to see my cameras remotely? I know some guys say that you shouldn't do the port forwarding thing. But is that going to be my best bet? L