Fyi on iDS-7208HTHI-M2/S Dvr and 5mp input from the colorvu DS-2CE12HFT-F Camera to 4k tv

RonL

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I had questions on how this would display, no one could give me an answer, not here, not B&H tech support, not hik-vision tech support. So I just bought them, recieved yesterday.
First I am really impressed by the colorvu at pitch black ( I must have enough light out there, but it sure looks black to me) pictures below.. but first. I used the 5mp camera first in 2mp, then 4mp and then 5mp mode. 2 and 4 displayed full screen very nice. But the 5mp was stretched. Not letterbox. Unless my TV is doing the stretching. I check settings there and being it's through the hdmi cable and maybe an analog signal from the dvr (not sure on this) no options were available to change the auto picture display. However if you look at the difference between the 2 ,4 against the 5, you will see I gained lines of resolution on the 5. When you change to the 2 or 4 mp setting it must do its own trimming soonehow. But here are pictures, 2mp with light on , and 2 with light off, 4 and 5 both with light off. Much better with light off. But the digital zoom is not good day or night. It pixelates . (As I was told it would) if you need clear zoom, you need a varifocal camera. But, if your watching live view and you need to zoom, I don't see a way to do that with any speed. Plus there isn't any from hik-vision for analog colorvu. (I know, go to ip.. but very difficult to change wiring, plus cameras are 2 and 3x as expensive) and now that my better half has seen the colorvu at night, there is no other choice. Just wish they made an 8mp. I think they used to, but it seems to have dissapeared.

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just remember ANY camera can give a nice bright static image at night.

The lack of "crispness" in those pics lends me to believe that the shutter is cranked real slow and gain cranked up to favor a bright image. That is probably a 1/25 or slower shutter.

The real test is motion. If you cannot get a clean capture of a perp or a vehicle then it doesn't matter how bright the image is at midnight.

Because of that, unless the 8MP was on a larger sensor than these cameras, it wouldn't be of any benefit to you.

Now the question is can you change shutter speed and gain on this analog camera?

If so, change the shutter to 1/120 and gain to 50 and watch how much darker the image gets.

You need faster shutters to be able to freeze frame a video to get a clean picture, but the faster the shutter, the more light that is needed.

You need shutter speeds faster than 1/60 to be able to start to freeze frame and get a clean image of a person walking, but faster is better.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Regarding the image size, I have a 5MP Amcrest (Dahau OEM) that in default displayed a 5MP, 2592 x 1944 image, at 4:3 aspect ratio that was being stretched to fit a 16:9 screen. I was not happy with it.

I logged into the cam's webGUI and changed the main stream to 2688 x 1520, a 4MP image in a 16:9 aspect ratio. It looks MUCH better, IMO.

RonL

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just remember ANY camera can give a nice bright static image at night.

The lack of "crispness" in those pics lends me to believe that the shutter is cranked real slow and gain cranked up to favor a bright image. That is probably a 1/25 or slower shutter.

The real test is motion. If you cannot get a clean capture of a perp or a vehicle then it doesn't matter how bright the image is at midnight.

Because of that, unless the 8MP was on a larger sensor than these cameras, it wouldn't be of any benefit to you.

Now the question is can you change shutter speed and gain on this analog camera?

If so, change the shutter to 1/120 and gain to 50 and watch how much darker the image gets.

You need faster shutters to be able to freeze frame a video to get a clean picture, but the faster the shutter, the more light that is needed.

You need shutter speeds faster than 1/60 to be able to start to freeze frame and get a clean image of a person walking, but faster is better.
There is a slow shuttervoption, I have that to off, I don't know of another option for that. I'll have to check the gain, but I think it's either on auto, or low on the scale, I'll check that. But we're pretty pleased with it so far. It's way better than the grainy stuff we had before. That was a 5mp camera, I have a 8mp comming, it will be b/w but we can compare it. Plus there are the camera settings and the tv settings ... I'll check both.

RonL

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Regarding the image size, I have a 5MP Amcrest (Dahau OEM) that in default displayed a 5MP, 2592 x 1944 image, at 4:3 aspect ratio that was being stretched to fit a 16:9 screen. I was not happy with it.

I logged into the cam's webGUI and changed the main stream to 2688 x 1520, a 4MP image in a 16:9 aspect ratio. It looks MUCH better, IMO.
But what did that do to the size of the picture ? But I can try that too, thanks