Gah.....I'm lost !!

Reaction score
Hello,
Far too many options for me to look at.
I need something to monitor my property (and quickly)
Streaming video via an IPAD or Windows based laptop is a must.
I am not sure about how much storage or what type of storage I need.
Charter Internet at the moment. Not really sure how to approach all of this.
There are so many options, not really sure in what direction to go in.
thanks for any and all information

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Consider purchasing a Dahua or Hikvision rebranded system at Costco.com. They often go on sale and they are decent values, especially considering the forever lifetime return policy... Plus the camera/NVR combination is very easy to set up. NVR means network video recorder.

Reaction score
thanks
Either of those brands have anything good available at Amazon?

BTW One of my main concerns was setting up for remote viewing.
I am looking for something that is easy to setup and view remotely (ipad or windows based)
any suggestions are greatly appreciated

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Nothing you do the first time is easy. The advantage of the Costco systems are they are complete systems. They include cameras and an MVR. While you may be able to find these cameras and NVR systems on Amazon there is a good chance that they will Chinese region systems which means you can't update them with newer firmware. The Costco systems are western region systems which means that they can be updated with the firmware.

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
HikVision is on Amazon, i've had good luck ordering from there, u want the US version, not the chinese otherwise you won't be able to upgrade or get tech support. Dahua doesn't have much on Amazon, ur better off checking Aliexpress if thats the route you wanna go.

Sorry Q i must have been typing while you were.

Last edited by a moderator:

ENiGMA

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
lifetime return policy. sounds awesome if you can get it

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Probably not worth the paper it's written on. Too many T&Cs.
I'm referring to Costco, to whom I once returned a 10-year old Canon copy machine which was mis-feeding paper. Costco's return policy is real.

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The only thing that worries me about a Costco system and their great return policy is... If one component breaks, do you need to return the entire system for replacement or can you just take the receipt and broken item and have them replace just that? I can't see them cannibalizing a NIB kit to just replace one camera. Might be one helluva hassle taking everything down and having to return it all because one camera breaks.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The only thing that worries me about a Costco system and their great return policy is... If one component breaks, do you need to return the entire system for replacement or can you just take the receipt and broken item and have them replace just that? I can't see them cannibalizing a NIB kit to just replace one camera. Might be one helluva hassle taking everything down and having to return it all because one camera breaks.
That is a very good point, one which I had previously considered. You would have to deinstall the entire system to return one band camp I would imagine.

Reaction score
Thanks for the information.
Are most cameras PoE now? That might make it difficult to install in the front of the house and carport.
No easy ways to hide wires at the moment.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the information.
Are most cameras PoE now? That might make it difficult to install in the front of the house and carport.
No easy ways to hide wires at the moment.
Most good IP cameras support POE. With POE a single Ethernet Cat5e or Cat6 cable carries both the camera signal and power to the camera (in case you don't know that). I would suggest that you figure out a way to get cable to where you need camera and run 2 cables instead of one in case you need a 2nd camera at that location. Cat5e or Cat6 wired cameras are S I G N I F I C A N T L Y more stable and reliable.

Reaction score
There is one spot that is not easy to run a wire to.
Aside from using wirless cameras with AC power, are there any options?

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There is one spot that is not easy to run a wire to.
Aside from using wirless cameras with AC power, are there any options?
An AC Powerline adapter may work for that camera, but if they do you're going to need AC power at that location; I've never used them, but many here have with good results.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
I checked some of those. They look promising, provided it works on my network. There is a wire conduit running on that side of the house where cable (tv) went in.
Those devices might eliminate the need though.

james99

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
[h=2]What’s Costco’s return policy on electronics?[/h] Costco updated its return policy in 2007 to be a bit more specific on certain items to curb abuse. In reference to electronic items, Costco now says these may only be returned within ninety days from the date of purchase. All other non-electronic items, however, are still under the umbrella of Costco’s generous allowance for returns