Garage Camera

h901

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm thinking of installing a camera in the garage. The garage has a wired connection from the router in the garage to the router in the house. Could I connect the ip camera to the garage router and will it then be found on the network via the nvr, the nvr is in the house connected to the router in the house (as long as I ensure the garage camera has separate power). If not, what would be the correct way to install it.
Thanks

zebrock

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Do you have an actual router in the garage and house? If so, your garage router (if configd as a router) will be on a different subnet and will not be seen on the house router. If it is a switch, you'll be ok.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N930A using Tapatalk

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm thinking of installing a camera in the garage. The garage has a wired connection from the router in the garage to the router in the house. Could I connect the ip camera to the garage router and will it then be found on the network via the nvr, the nvr is in the house connected to the router in the house (as long as I ensure the garage camera has separate power). If not, what would be the correct way to install it.
Thanks
I'm guessing/hoping one of those is a switch - normally people do not deploy mult routers as this will segment your network and not allow devices to communicate.

Assuming one is a router and the other a switch (if it is in fact another router, you can change it's mode to bridge mode).

So yes - you can connect the camera to either the main router or the switch/2nd router if set to bridge mode, and you'll be able to detect the camera across the entire network.

h901

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks guys, appreciate the replies

In garage is an actual router but I can't remember how I configured it (followed a tutorial) and basically it has the same ssid as the home router and just relays the internet signal if that make sense.

I think it might be bridge mode come to think of it, that name sounds familiar

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
It might have also been called Access Point mode. I've done that before with success and then just used a POE injector to connect a camera to the AP "router". Some routers don't have an easy labeled way to do this but is usually possible anyway but does create some complications.

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have multiple routers at home. As long as only one of them (should be main router) has DNS enabled, it works for me. My routers are all on the same address range.

zebrock

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you can see all devices on your network from the garage router now, you should be bridged and in good shape. It won't hurt to try, worse case you can't see the camera and have to log into it and change the mode.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N930A using Tapatalk