Garage door opener interference from cameras

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
not when you just print it off your laser printer twice a year.. heck my brother works at a print shop and could make me thick laminated stock like a credit card.. but they expire alot more frequently than my drivers license, credit cards or even gift cards do so going through the hassle seems pointless

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'd keep it in my wallet but my wife washes my wallet a few times a year.
You need some sort of digital tag in the wallet that sets off alarms and sirens when its near the washing machine:D...

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You need some sort of digital tag in the wallet that sets off alarms and sirens when its near the washing machine:D...
You probably just got on Nayrs project list.

I recently started to notice that the range of our garage door opener was becoming less and less. Whereas before I could open the garage door from the end of the driveway, I now had to be right up close to the door in one of our cars. The opener in our other vehicle stopped working altogether and only now works from inside the garage. I realized today that the decrease in garage door opener range coincides with my camera installs. Sure enough, I unplugged the cameras around and inside the garage and the range of the opener returned to how it was before.

I did a search, but did not see anyone mention this problem before. Surely I cannot be the first to experience the issue, can I? All my cameras are Hikvision 4mp Turrets and are powered by POE. My garage door opener is an older model and operates on the 315Mhz frequency. I'm wondering why others haven't run into the same problem with cameras around the garage/driveway. Perhaps a new garage door opener would help?

You have dirtied up the RF spectrum in your garage somehow to stop your Garage door remote working. It isnt unheard of.

Here are a couple of ideas you can try.

1. Shield your antenna. Cover some cardboard in aluminium foil and wrap it around the side of the antenna facing the back of the garage and leave the antenna facing the driveway clear.
2. Cut a full wavelength antenna - 905mm (35.6") for 315mhz - In most the antenna is a single length of copper wire held on with a screw. Your current antenna is probably 1/4 wavelength long. See if improving the antenna efficiency allows you to receive through the noise.
3. Throw the thing out and start again.

Last edited by a moderator:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
lol, not worth the hassle.. while were on the topic, my laundry alert still gets ignored when we are busy doing something, wha'd u know the laundry does not always finish at a convenient time, so it has not eliminated forgetting a load in the wash and it getting all smelly.. so next up I am putting a motion sensor in the laundry room so the HA system keeps nagging us until it knows there is no longer a load of wet clothes starting to mold down there.

Considering how everything in my wallet is plastic now days its no real harm sending it through the wash every once and a while..

steve457

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I finally got around to putting ferrite chokes on both ends of the ethernet cables (camera and switch) leading to each camera. I also put chokes on all the random power cables in the garage (ie: garage opener, sprinkler system, etc). At first I had chokes on everything except for 2 cameras, as the original choke I ordered was too large for the ethernet cable and I wanted to make sure it was clamped on firmly so that I could pull it through the wall opening should I ever need to remove it. With this setup the range did not really improve and I needed to be within 5' of the garage door for the remote to work. When I added the final 2 chokes to the last remaining cameras I did not expect there to be much difference, but it turned out those 2 cameras must have been causing the majority of the interference. My range is now even better than I recall it being prior to the camera install! I am able to open/close the garage door from more than 100' away.

allensmith

n3wb
Reaction score
I have had 2 of my five E-5241E-IRAS cameras and my E-NVR8-PoE for a few months and there were no issues. Two days ago I installed the last 3 cameras. All are at the same end of my home as the garage with a Chamberlain Whisper door opener. Yesterday all of my door opener remotes would only work inside the garage then i contact Locksmith Parkland for the door problem and they reopen door with latest equipments.