Garage Door opening or closing to trigger alert

Reaction score
I'm getting frustrated right now. I've been switching between enabling Blue Iris ONIF/Camera Events and in the camera enabling Motion Detection, Scene Changing and Smart Motion Detection and that doesn't seem to trigger alerts when the garage door opens or closes, so then I disable ONIF/Camera Events and enable Blue Iris Motion Sensor Object Detection and also Use Zones. I can't get an alert to be sent, however when using Blue Iris Motion Sensor, I see a little bubble pop up next to the alarm bell on the top right of the live view frame, but no alert sent. What am I doing wrong. I have alerts enabled to push to my phone. Humans and vehicles trigger the alerts, but the opening or closing of the garage door doesn't. Thoughts?

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Perhaps a cardboard cut out of a human silouhette ( sp) taped to the inside of the garage door would trigger it.
Or even just a black piece of cardboard taped to the door would be seen as motion....
I had some trouble with motion events on the door as well. from the inside.
but when i 86'ed the amcrest 1179 from tht location and put in a Color 4k from Empiretech andy, things went better.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A sensor tied to an alarm or home automation system is going to be more reliable.

The best garage sensors are either tilt sensors or big overhead door sensors which can be wired to a wireless contact.

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
is the camera looking from the outside or inside? is there a light bulb on the garage door opener?

Reaction score
is the camera looking from the outside or inside? is there a light bulb on the garage door opener?
Camera is looking from the outside. The camera is under a deck, and this particular garage door is under my deck in the rear of the house, opens into a utility space. Yes, I can put an alarm sensor on the door, but was curious why the camera won't detect that as movement or a scene change. Camera is 8' away from the door, so a fairly tight view taking up more than 30% of the overall scene. Just was curious if I was doing something wrong.

Reaction score
Camera is looking from the outside. The camera is under a deck, and this particular garage door is under my deck in the rear of the house, opens into a utility space. Yes, I can put an alarm sensor on the door, but was curious why the camera won't detect that as movement or a scene change. Camera is 8' away from the door, so a fairly tight view taking up more than 30% of the overall scene. Just was curious if I was doing something wrong.
So it seems like it's sensing motion when using Blue Iris Motion Sensor, based on seeing the little bubble next to the alarm bell on the live view, it's just not throwing a trigger/alarm. At least that narrows it down some, so Blue Iris motion sensor is working, now way wont it trigger an alarm?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Make sure you turn off under BI object detection moves x number of pixels and uncheck reset at x%.

Those are to knock out false triggers and you have the opposite going on.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
maybe a piece of reflective tape in a not too unsightly manner, placed on the door, would help if its in a low light situation,
1711389481280.png
1711389499938.png