gate automation

skjom

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone use LPR cameras or even AI to detect presence of their car to open their gate.

AI prob would be too generic , put an LPR camera at the wall near the gate to identify certain trusted cars such as the postman , family members cars would be useful.

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes, I do this on my side with a Dahau IP camera + Blue Iris + CodeProject.AI + Home Assistant. CodePorject.AI does the ALPR, Blue Iris sends each plate event to HA via MQTT where I have automation that can trigger actions if plate # matches my car, wife's car or unknown.

skjom

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks I have home assistant and use mosquito for mqtt. Don't have blue Iris or code project AI. But I used to work in machine vision setting up industrial cameras and now IT so I'd prob pick that up.

What camera do you use for the LPR. My driveway approach is very short as there is a wall in front of it and you need to turn into it at right angle so the FOV id expect should be quite limited as the car has a short approach.

Do you do it for opening the gates from outside or also inside. I'm also considering scenario of where I'm driving out , but really I suppose that could be done with any standard camera and a zone detection that there is an object close to the gate and open it from inside. Doesn't need LPR there.

Attachments

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@skjom For certain zoom range: EmpireTech IPC-B54IR-ZE 1/1.8" CMOS 4MP WDR IR Vari-focal Bullet Netwo

If you need more zoom: EmpireTech IPC-B54IR-Z4E-S3 1/1.8" CMOS 4MP WDR IR Built-in Mic AI Net

If you don't need alot of zoom and want turret form factor: EmpireTech IPC-T54IR-ZE-S3 1/1.8" CMOS 4MP IR Starlight Vari-focal Tur

The above camera shop is run by Andy---a known, reliable seller on this site, also on Amazon.

For driving in, I assume camera is mounted outside property.
For driving out, if you want to detect vehicle at gate from inside the property, you might as well buy quality even if you don't necessarily need LPR here.

P.S. Just in case it's not clear, if someone has your license plate # on a sheet of paper, they can possibly open your gate by holding it up to camera. Nothing is 100 % foolproof. But if your HA automation is triggered by plate # + your phone detection via wifi/bluetooh (presence detection), then that would be more secure.

Last edited:

skjom

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks ya , I used to work on ocr , optical character verification systems before in factories. So I understand the principle of LPR and cameras sensors and lens and what not.
Have a few hik cameras around the house on tiny cam. And some old bullets I've never mounted. And I've seen Andys shop, been lurking here for a while , built a blue Iris machine and one stage and never deployed it.

My gates are activated via cellular at moment so I'll need to connect them to ethernet, but I ran trunking out there recently so that's the first job to get going.

The LPR camera would be enjoyable as I done some machine learning also recently.

Thanks

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@skjom Agree, LPR boils down to doing OCR on a camera snapshot.

Usually, this is not a problem during the daytime and when car is not moving or very slow.

To get this to work reliably, hardest part is tweaking your camera to return quality images at night so OCR can accurately read plate #s.
See other threads about tweaking cameras for LPR nighttime images.