General camera recommendations

shaklee3

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, I've used these forums for about 7 years now as an occasional lurker when I need a new camera. About 4 years ago I got the: Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS based on the recommendations here, and then 3 years ago I got another one recommended here: IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED. I actually was pretty sure this is a Dahua too, but it looks like the maker has changed.

Anyways, now 3 years later I'm looking for another non-ptz camera for viewing the driveway and street from under the eave of the garage. I'm again seeing a ton of options, and really just want something similar to what I got second. Should I just get another IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED or is there better technology for a similar type of camera now?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The 5442 series is still the recommended camera.

There is the 4K/T if you have enough light or are willing to run the built in white LED.

But many are finding that the 4K/T makes a great overview camera but the area of focus is more defined than the 5442 series, so you may actually have a little soft focus depending on your distance.

Perimeter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Should I just get another IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED or is there better technology for a similar type of camera now?
There is! The T5443TM-AS-LED-S2. Which is quite an improvement over the older models, as it collects about 3x the light the old model did.
Just be aware that the better f-stop will shorten the depth of field. So look at the focus distance before you shop.

shaklee3

n3wb
Reaction score
There is! The T5443TM-AS-LED-S2. Which is quite an improvement over the older models, as it collects about 3x the light the old model did.
Just be aware that the better f-stop will shorten the depth of field. So look at the focus distance before you shop.
That model doesn't seem to come up on google at all. Is it unreleased?

shaklee3

n3wb
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
This is the model I purchased 3 years ago from you according to Amazon. Are you saying this is the newer model mentioned above?
ooh, this one is the S2 version, you see the housing different, the new one low light capacity is a little better than the old one.
But if you have good budget can check the IPC-Color4K-T 1/1.2cmos.

shaklee3

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Andy! Is the bracket the same? Do I just need this: to mount under the eave, or is this needed too? Previously I just used the first one

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.