General question about motion detection and NVR's

Ottoman

n3wb
Reaction score
I know most systems can be set to record when there is motion detection, or they can always be recording.

But what I would like, is to have the NVR record everything, but notify me the times there is motion, so I can go back and look at what was happening during those times.

This would enable me to make the motion detection less sensitive, but still be able to see everything through the day.

For example, if I had a camera at my front door, I would want to know that somebody walked up my steps, but I wouldn't need to be notified every time somebody was walking on the sidewalk across the street.
BUT I would want the ability to go back through the day and see who was walking across the street if need be.

Is this something any NVR offers?

Thanks

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
this is something just about every NVR offers.. just configure it to record 24/7 and then configure the motion profiles.. in the playback timeline it will flag motion in another color..

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Note that some NVR's like hikvision do not allow you to view motion events on a 24/7 timeline if viewing via a browser...You can only see the event in the timeline if you view the NVR direct..

Ottoman

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for the answers, this is what I figured.

Note that some NVR's like hikvision do not allow you to view motion events on a 24/7 timeline if viewing via a browser...You can only see the event in the timeline if you view the NVR direct..
Does this mean I am not able to see motion detection info in any way remotely, I need to view it on a TV?

Or is there an app I can use or some other way to see motion events in the timeline over the network?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I wont work over the mobile app though which is a huge issue when you are not home.

Ottoman

n3wb
Reaction score
I wont work over the mobile app though which is a huge issue when you are not home.
Oh wow thanks I was just looking at the iVMS-4500 app in the app store and was going to ask that question.

So my main requirements are:
-record everything
-log motion detection
-ability to get the camera feeds and motion detection information remotely through app or browser.

So other than setting up a VPN and running the app remotely (or use remote desktop app), I guess a Hikvision or Dahua both don't have any other way to get the info remotely..?

Can Blue Iris do this?

Securame

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So other than setting up a VPN and running the app remotely (or use remote desktop app), I guess a Hikvision or Dahua both don't have any other way to get the info remotely..?
Dahua does from DMSS. Hopefully iVMS-4500 will have it sometime.

dmss_3.jpg

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Ottoman,

Welcome to the forum!

I have a Dahua NVR (model number in signature, below)
I record 24/7 both main stream and sub stream. (sub stream for remote viewing over low bandwidth connection, like cellular)
I have tripwire set up in the cameras (essentially "smart" motion detect"
I have external alarms wired to the alarm input of the NVR (laser lines)
I receive emails when an alarm occurs, including a snapshot.
When viewing in "Playback", the normally green timeline will show the alarms in red.
I can view playback (with alarms indicated);
- using a browser, surfing in to the NVR
- using the native UI in the NVR (mouse & monitor connected to NVR)
- using gDMSS on my Android phone. But you must select "Alarm" to view alarm events.

For your situation, front steps and street motion, you might want to look into the "tripwire" feature of Smart cameras. Dunno about Hikvision, but Dahua has some cameras with that feature. It's much better than MD, even when you set MD sensitivity by zone in the camera's Field Of View.

Fastb