General Security/Remote Access for Recreational Vehicle Build (Everchanging IP)

Reaction score
Hello all,

I've been following the guides here on the Wiki and wanted to check in for some critique/recs based on where I am in my build for my RV, which is actually my first build. I get internet through various providers (ATT, Verizon, T-Mobile, Starlink) and run these connections through Pepwave Max Transit Duo. From there I run a cable to a TPLink Archer AX1500, then to an 8-port unmanaged POE switch, which is where my cameras are connected.

Questions:
  1. Based on the Wiki, all I really need to do is turn off UPnP where ever it is enabled (really all devices on the network), right?
  2. Never forward ports to the BI machine/cameras
  3. What about remote access? Because my IP will CONSTANTLY be changing (sometimes 3-4 times in one day, and potentially even automatically when I'm away from the RV), is a VPN even realistic? Would it be safe to just use TeamVeiwer? Based on my understanding, I don't need to forward any ports for it to work.
  4. Is there anything else I need to consider for security? I didn't see anything else on the Wiki.

Thank you to all of the contributors in this community, it has been such a huge help for me.

Brian

Reaction score
Agree with looney. Personally, I use a MIFI from ATT and one from Verizon in my RV. I do not have any routers or switches in the RV. I use TeamViewer to go from the RV to the house.

When setting up a cam in the RV and looking from outside that environment, I was using some cheep LaView WIFI cams that work from their own iPhone app. I did not use their cloud services though.

I stopped using that as it ate up my data cap quite quickly. I am fairly certain that it was an always on connection.

Reaction score
Agree with looney. Personally, I use a MIFI from ATT and one from Verizon in my RV. I do not have any routers or switches in the RV. I use TeamViewer to go from the RV to the house.

When setting up a cam in the RV and looking from outside that environment, I was using some cheep LaView WIFI cams that work from their own iPhone app. I did not use their cloud services though.

I stopped using that as it ate up my data cap quite quickly. I am fairly certain that it was an always on connection.
What makes you go the TeamViewer route over ZeroTier?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What makes you go the TeamViewer route over ZeroTier?
Two completely different solutions.
Zero you setup, and acts just like you are connected to your remote network device once everything is configured. Just open a webpage or viewing software and it all works just as if you were on your local network.

TeamViewer adds some additional over head to pc you are connecting to. You are viewing the desktop of the remote desktop, not directly connected to remote network.
Both have there places

Last edited: