Geofencing. en-garde! (dupe instances of one mobile)

Matt L.

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have 3 instances of one device on my mobile tab. Therefore I can't tell which one, if there is only one currently in use, to choose for Geo-fencing in and out. The device ID is something arbitrary in appearance, I thought at first glance they were MAC addressess, but they don't match up. I went and put settings into two of them the same and it worked so-so, as long as the phone screen was on, it would update. When I'm driving, that screen is always off so yeah....

The bigger question: Is GeoFencing working with BI enough I can trust it to make a loud noise or prevent one? It's not loud enough for cops to be summoned and I fined, however.

Terk

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm not sure why there would be 3 instances for one device in your Geo-Fencing settings however Geo-Fencing requires either a port forward in place on your router (hopefully SSL if you use this method) or if you use VPN it requires the VPN connection to be active when changing from home to away or vise versa. I have found on my iOS devices that with the screen off it is reliable most of the time for changing its state and that is with the app force closed which I do regularly. There have been times where it has missed changing the state when my wife or I have left however it has been fairly rare.

I don't think I would trust any Geo-Fencing setup enough to make a loud noise outside with the chance of annoying the neighbors or getting the police called falsely since any Geo-Fencing setup requires cloud access which will fail if there is an internet issue at the time your phones cross the distance threshold. As long as the noise would only be inside of your house then maybe enable that once you get Geo-Fencing working most of the time and just disable it if it falsely goes off once when your wife is home and is now upset about the noise;)

Matt L.

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am just going to reinitialize the mobile devices be removing them. I do have a pinhole, BI server is only thing out there. If I get cameras on both WiFi and WAN, I assume BI App can tell BI Server it's location in real-time through the same channel?

Matt L.

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Good so far. My notifications are no longer delayed. It seems good maintenance to clear out the mobile devices here and again. Although, you'll need to re-enter a couple of settings.