Get instant notifications with motion?

Nick6

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi guys

I'm helping some friends, who have no technical skills in this domain, with this issue: there have been multiple home invasions lately in the neighborhood and they live on a remote spot where nobody would notice if someone would try to break into the house.

They have a Hikvision NVR & 3 IP cams outside:
NVR: DS-7608NI-K2
Cam1: DS-2CD2032-I
Cam2: DS-2CD2142FWD-IS
Cam3: DS-2CD2046G2-I

Is there a way with this system to get instant notifications - so not with e-mail - with some/a Hikvision Android app when there is motion?
TIA

fullboogie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Go directly to Hik's website and download the HikConnect app. Set it up, then make sure in the NVR you have the proper notification type ticked in the box - I believe it's called "notification center" or something like that. You'll get push notifications of events and can even live view the cameras remotely.

trempa92

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Only cam that i would remotely even try to set motion events is DS-2CD2046G2-I because of human/vehicle tick. Even there i would set up a smart event with my own calibration. cam1 and 2 will send hundreds of false alarms an hour with motion detection.

I suggest to use Intrrusion detection or line crossing option and then notifying if anything pops up. Even in this scenario you will receive false alarms.

Only camers that might have high success rate of real alarms are thermal cameras(for humans).

If you really want to protect home invasion, get yourself an alarm system. Cameras often dont really cut it

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
trempa92 is correct - a camera system is not intended to be a deterrent or an alarm/notification system when someone enters a home. It is designed to simply record the events as they unfold for identification purposes (after the fact). Now there is always the chance that someone will see your cameras and decide they are going to take their shenanigan's elsewhere, but that is a lucky bonus if it happens. If you need an alarm/notification system, then you should really consider an actual security alarm system. They are easier to use, generally require no maintenance once the system is operational, can easily be set up to cover/monitor every entry into a house (doors, windows, etc), offer live notifications and even live monitoring where the police will be called automatically if certain criteria is met.

Last edited:

Nick6

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks guys for your insights!

I have a few Reolink camera's myself that I got as a gift and since I live in an apartment, I don't need them outside so I use them inside as a test and to see what the dog is doing when not home/overnight.
Together with the cams, I have a NVR but that doesn't work anymore so I use Zoneminder for recordings.
A few weeks ago I added the cams to my home automation which added a sensor when there is motion.
Apart from that I don't have any experience with motion detection on camera's.

I will do a test with the app to see how it goes.
Today I had to reset 1 of the cams because they didn't know the pw anymore and I tried to register at Hikvision with the app but I guess I was wrong thinking a mail would be sent to confirm the account.
When I got home I realized that maybe after registering I could just login to it but that's for another time.