Getting a view of the front door

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
I am moving into a home soon and I plan to pickup a bunch of IPC-HDW2231R-ZS cameras for the external cameras (I already have one, seems good so far)

I plan on having one zoomed way in facing down the front pathway, so if someone walks up to my door I should get a great face shot

But, I wouldn't mind actually seeing the door to see if someone was able to get in, or is messing with the door. I could go inside, but since I have no glass around the door I wouldn't be able to see through.

What sort of camera and placement should I go for to actually see someone messing with the door? My door is recessed a fair bit. There is around 4 feet between the gate and the door

Should I go for a really fisheye lens facing towards the door?

Any comments are welcome!

And here is the full view of the front of the house. Not too sure where the rest will go

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
welcome @IReallyLikePizza2

I am not seeing the pictures.

Personally I really like the mini-dome wedges by the front door at eye level.. there's also a dual lens version that looney2ns reviewed worth looking at imho

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
You could always put one on the outside corner looking in at the door.

Sphinxicus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
there's also a dual lens version that looney2ns reviewed worth looking at imho
@IReallyLikePizza2 I personally think that the "boobie cam" that mat mentioned is a great fit here. Mounted on the wall to the right of the door as you look at it, about 2 foot away from the door you could point one at the door and one towards the approach.

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
This is what I have come up with so far, the booby cam seems like a good fit. I am going to have the 2MP verifocal zoomed all the way in on the path to get faces, and try and mount the booby cam on the ceiling facing the door, and facing the left side of the front lawn. This should give me total coverage. Let me know what you think

Attachments

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi @IReallyLikePizza2

Nice place

Before you jump on buying all the cameras do look at the newer starlight+ models coming out...

Aristobrat is currently working on a review, and we'll probably see more info on those soon.
Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+)

In terms of placement, I really like my camera at the frontdoor to be at eye level. I do see you have a ring already there.

Wondering how the bars will affect the camera at night.

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks!

I bought a single IPC-HDW2231R-ZS from Andy on Amazon and I was very pleased, and I just ordered 7 more from him yesterday so that boat has sailed!

I'm hoping to place the camera very close or outside of the bar to eliminate glare from the IR

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks!

I bought a single IPC-HDW2231R-ZS from Andy on Amazon and I was very pleased, and I just ordered 7 more from him yesterday so that boat has sailed!

I'm hoping to place the camera very close or outside of the bar to eliminate glare from the IR
Good pick, I like the varifocal aspect of those. Really gives you a chance to adjust the pixels on target.

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Got my NVR setup today, Lenovo M73 Tiny which was $100~ a few months ago. I got it for another purpose, but it will be the NVR until I build a better 1u rackmount box for it

Specs:
  • i5-4570T
  • 2 x 4GB DDR3
  • Intel 60GB SSD
  • Windows Server 2019 Standard

I used a trial of Blue Iris I can't verify direct to disk recording. So far with 8 x 2MP Cams set to VBR (Quality 6) and max bitrate of 6144Kb/s, all recording on motion with a 10 second pre-buffer I am seeing around 45% CPU usage, and 15% iGPU usage with the console closed, and 75/20% with it opened

Storage is no concern as I am recording over the network to a NAS.

So far the only big downside with this system is the lack of a second NIC. My CCTV network is on a completely separate VLAN and I didn't want to have to rely on the Router or switch to do the routing of all the camera traffic. I threw in a spare USB 3.0 Gigabit NIC, but with all 8 cameras loaded up and a constant 30Mb/s load, it would drop packets. Pretty poor! Right now I am just letting it all go through the router, but I plan to offload it to the switch or get a cheap Mini PCI-E Gigabit NIC which should work fine, the wireless NIC can go

Attachments