getting BI to recognize Lorex DVR cameras

JeffCharger

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am having difficulty getting BI to "see" cameras that are attached to a Lorex LH040 ECO DVR running on my LAN. I've tried doing a scan and also some specific leads from on this site. Nothing has been successful.

Does anyone has some pointers or tricks to help me?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You go to add camera and then you put in the IP address of the NVR...then within the add camera set up screen is a camera number option, so you add one camera as cam1, then add another camera with the same IP address and choose cam2, etc.

JeffCharger

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You go to add camera and then you put in the IP address of the NVR...then within the add camera set up screen is a camera number option, so you add one camera as cam1, then add another camera with the same IP address and choose cam2, etc.
Thanks for the response. That's where I've been trying to add the cameras. I can add the IP address of the NVR, (192.168.x.x trying with and without port #), and it can't find it. Is it possible that BI just can't communicate with the Lorex model? Or is it just a case of getting the definition and settings right?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are you using the find/inspect option of Add a camera? BI is usually good at finding the correct settings.

If that doesn't work, send a screenshot of what is showing when you hit the find/inspect.

JeffCharger

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Are you using the find/inspect option of Add a camera? BI is usually good at finding the correct settings.

If that doesn't work, send a screenshot of what is showing when you hit the find/inspect.
yes, I was using the find/inspect. I'll get some screenshots and post them. I appreciate the help.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score

that DVR has no PoE ports so is (most likely) not NAT'ing your cams' Ip's.

Best bet is to point BI at each cam's IP directly. The NVR may have RTSP URL's available for each cam, but better to pul the streams to BI from the cams directly. that way, BI and the NVR can each act independanty, and if one has problem, the other will still work fine...

edit: on closer inspection, i see that system has WIRELESS cams (ug!) that connect to the NVR, (and perhaps not connect to your normal wifi network). did i say 'ugh!'? in that case, you will need to find the RTSP stream URL provided by the NVR for each cam...

edit again: you may be S.O.L. that system appears to be a 'cloud only' sort of thing, and may not even have local RTSP streams availble for access from BI at all.

Last edited:

JeffCharger

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

that DVR has no PoE ports so is (most likely) not NAT'ing your cams' Ip's.

Best bet is to point BI at each cam's IP directly. The NVR may have RTSP URL's available for each cam, but better to pul the streams to BI from the cams directly. that way, BI and the NVR can each act independanty, and if one has problem, the other will still work fine...

edit: on closer inspection, i see that system has WIRELESS cams (ug!) that connect to the NVR, (and perhaps not connect to your normal wifi network). did i say 'ugh!'? in that case, you will need to find the RTSP stream URL provided by the NVR for each cam...

edit again: you may be S.O.L. that system appears to be a 'cloud only' sort of thing, and may not even have local RTSP streams availble for access from BI at all.
The unit is wired rather than wireless, but the picture you attached looks like the unit itself.

I can access each of the 4 cameras it has through a different third party app by using the 192.168.x.y IP of the NVR, together with the "client port" of 9000 and a channel # (together with the userid/psw. I don't believe that it has individual IPs.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
ah, then that same URL should work to get each cam into BI. you'll need to enter it manually for each cam as BI is unlikely to be able to 'discover' them...

something like "<NVR IP address>:9000/channel=1" (or somesuch...)

JeffCharger

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
ah, then that same URL should work to get each cam into BI. you'll need to enter it manually for each cam as BI is unlikely to be able to 'discover' them...

something like "<NVR IP address>:9000/channel=1" (or somesuch...)
I will give it a try... would this be in the http: field? or in the path field?

thanks

JeffCharger

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Success! A lot of monkeying around with different options. Found one that worked! Thanks for the help!

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
Please show the settings that worked for you on the NVR, for posterity! I have couple Wyze V2 I was thinking of convertin, and I'm sure there must be other folks with Dahua NVr's and Wyze cams... thanx.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Please show the settings that worked for you on the NVR, for posterity! I have couple Wyze V2 I was thinking of convertin, and I'm sure there must be other folks with Dahua NVr's and Wyze cams... thanx.
Wrong thread LOL - this was Lorex NVR with Blue Iris LOL... I thought it was determined Wyze V2 was not ONVIF compliant and thus not compatible with Dahua NVRs?

But yes, please show for those with a Lorex NVR!

JeffCharger

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
the trick was to use RTSP port 9000, and even though the PVR is an LH040 model, I went through each of the Lorex models identified, and the one that worked was labelled as "LH016000 media port 9000"