Getting IVS events to show up in timeline.

Gilera

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I use Milestone Xprotect to record 24/7 with 4 cameras. In the past I have been using motion detection but always get the inevitable false positives due to high motion scenes (water, trees). My usual procedure was to log into the smart client periodically, scale out on the timeline for the last few days, scroll through and check the footage where the red motion alerts show up in the timebar and see if anything of interest.

I was very excited about the tripwire function on my new Dahua cams. I set them up only to find that Xprotect can't pick up the tripwire alerts from the camera side and display in the timebar. I posted on a Xprotect forum to confirm this and apparently there is no way around it. I have a Dahua NVR but really struggle with the UI and SmartPSS when it comes to reviewing footage. Among other things, the fact that you can only set the timebar to a maximum of 24 hour period, can't drag it through the footage and see frames pop up along the way is really backwards in my opinion . I have been reading about DMSS and it seems that you can drag the timebar around in it but still limited to a 24 hour period for the timebar. I did play around with Blue Iris a while back but preferred Xprotect.

Does Blue Iris display camera side alerts? Anyone got any other recommendations?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes BI will show camera side alerts with pics and a timeline with lines at the bottom.

Gilera

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have been trying this over the weekend and cannot seem to get the tripwire alerts to show up in the BI timeline on UI3. Is there any settings that need to be configured on the BI or camera end?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Go into the camera and set up smart plan with IVS, then go to the IVS screen and draw IVS rules (tripwire or intrusion box) and then select the AI you want it to trigger on (human or vehicle).

Then in BI, there are a few places you need to set this up in BI (assuming you already set up the IVS rules in the camera GUI):

In Camera configure setting check the box "Get ONVIF triggers".

Hit Find/Inspect on the camera setting to pull the coding for the triggers.

Go into Motion Setting and select the "Cameras digital input" box.

On the Alerts tab uncheck the Motions Zones tab (those are alerting you to any BI motion in those areas in Zones A thru H)

On the alerts tab set up how to be notified.

Gilera

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you!! I have set the camera up as described but not BI. Will try tonight.

Gilera

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I finally got around to testing this further. I have setup two cameras which are located next to each other in high motion environments (windy, trees, water). The cameras are 5442 and 2431 respectively. The 5442 seems to be working well set up the way wittaj described. The 2431 is working too but am getting many false positives. There is no global config on this camera it seems. The false positives seem to be from things like birds. Is there a way to reduce the sensitivity?

Also I was experimenting with the tick box option of using UDP/RTP ports. Is this something that is ever recommended? Strangely it seemed to only provide a camera feed in Blue Iris for the 2431 camera. If selected for the 5442 it could not pick up a feed until I readded without this option ticked.

Thanks for the help. I am starting to like BI over Xprotect.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Glad to hear you are making progress.

I believe the 2431series cameras are either the lite version or budget cams, and as such do not have AI for human or vehicle, so that makes it a little more problematic.

The key is try not to do too much with one field of view. If it is a 2.8 or 3.6mm fixed lens, then don't expect high accuracy past 15 feet, so have someone stand 15 feet out and draw a box around them to make that the minimum size to trigger. That should knock out most birds except for ones that fly close to the camera.

Gilera

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It's a 2.8mm and I am attempting to detect people out to about 45 feet so maybe that is asking too much but I will try your recommendations.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah that is trying to do way too much with that field of view and with no AI.

Gilera

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I changed the minimum size which did help but am still getting false positives. Much better though. There is a hedge close to the camera which moves in the wind sometimes. I had it set to human but could this be the issue? Unfortunately can't move the FOV to exclude it and being close to the lens it is larger area that a human from 15 feet away. Is there a way to exclude regions with IVS? Being a hedge I don't need that part of the view being monitored but would prefer not to privacy mask it.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just don't draw an IVS rule thru the hedge if possible.

Gilera

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Of course. On this cam I have an intrusion box. So if the hedge is not touching the box then it shouldn't be affecting anything should it.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is correct - have the hedge outside of the intrusion box and you will be good to go!