Getting my IP cam system up and running.

Reaction score
Hi,

Having just bought my house this year I am working on getting a security system installed so I can remote monitor / get motion alerts / record based on motion alerts. I work in the IT profession, so have been able to get a computer up and running with remote access to Blue Iris fairly easily. I bought a Foscam R2 as a simple cheap option to run a proof of concept of the Blue Iris system, mainly because I wanted to know if the computer I wanted to use was powerful enough to run 3 - 4 cameras. I have used a couple of cell phones to bring the camera count up to 3 and the system seems to run well while recording / live view.

My question now is what cameras to go with. I have seen some chatter on this forum already highlighting the downsides of domes. I am thinking bullet cameras to give me a good view of my property and show potential burglars the home is monitored.

I am not particularly a loyal customer of Foscam, it just seemed to be the cheapest point of entry to check things out. I am thinking of buying POE bullet cameras, and wonder what recommendations anyone has on this forum?

I'll carry on reading and researching regardless, but thought I would right up what I am thinking since I just joined this forum.

Thanks,

Jeremy.

Ajay

n3wb
Reaction score
Welcome on onboard , I am on a same boat as you are so as soon as you finalise your system do tag me as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
Hello, welcome to the forum. I have had bullets before my existing turrets. It got to be almost a daily job removing spider webs from the bullets, I have removed spider webs maybe 3 or 4 times total in the past year with the turrets. I would recommend poe. You're going to have something running to the camera anyway. Even if you did wireless (not recommended) you would still have to run power to the cam one way or another. I had very poor performance with wireless Foscams that I tried first and had extension cords running to them in the attic, not an ideal situation.