Getting UART access on an SV3C B08POE-8MP-A

uartn00b

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm a bit of a hardware n00b and I was hoping people might be able to make suggestions about how I'm trying to debug a camera issue. I have an SV3C B08POE-8MP-A that isn't working. If I connect it to a POE switch, it doesn't show up on the network. If I plug it directly into a PC (through a POE adapter so it has power), the PC complains about not being able to on the ethernet port. The camera makes a click a few seconds after it's given power, so something's happening, but I don't know what.

So I thought I'd try to get a serial connection to it. I opened the camera. Nothing is labeled well on the board. I found a tiny 3-pin header. One pin is ground (continuity to metal on the chassis). The other two have ~3.2V to the GND pin, so I was hoping these are TX and RX.

I got a UART to USB adapter and tried a bunch of common baud rates (sudo minicom -D /dev/ttyUSB0 -b XXXX), but I don't see anything, not even line noise. Then I swapped the TX and RX pins (50% chance I had them wrong), tried various baud rates, and nothing.

So then I connected my scope. I was hoping to be able to see some signal and figure out the baud rate, but I don't see anything that looks like a signal on either the TX or RX pin. I'm not super experienced with scopes but I used the scope's "Auto Setup" button that is supposed to zoom as best it can into what's going on, but it looks like basically nothing.

I found another header on the board with 4 pins and I found a GND pin on it, but the other pins have 3.3V. 0.18V, and 0.18V, so it doesn't seem like a UART.

At this point, I'm not sure what else to do. Any recommendations? Could it be bricked so badly that I won't even see anything on the UART?

I've attached a photo of the board. The top right header is the one that still seems to be the best candidate for the UART.

Attachments