Ghosting on IR.

PapaBill

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Being Held Hostage in Central Calif By Democrats.
Ok I got some cheap 4k cams for my house so when i move finally they are staying and then I am putting up good cams on my next house, but these 4k cams are showing people and animals like ghosts when they walk by at night under IR.
Is there a setting for this.
I can see cats clear as day during the day but once its night and full IR, all i see is like a ghost cat trail going across my screen same with people, its just a trail of the person walking by.
Will try to post a capture if needed.
Thanx all.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
First problem is a cheap 4K LOL. There are too many compromises to get 8MP at a reasonable price. And will result in poor night time performance after you dial it In and not run on auto settings that results in blur motion.

It is simple LOL do not chase MP - do not buy a 4MP camera that is anything other than a 1/1.8" sensor. Do not buy a 2MP camera that is anything other than a 1/2.8" sensor. Most 4k are on the same sensor as a 2MP and thus the 2MP will kick a 4k butt all night long as the 4k will need 4 times the light than the 2MP... 4k will do very poor at night unless you have stadium quality lighting (well a lot of lighting LOL).

Light (white light or IR) is certainly a much needed friend to these types of cameras!

As you have seen, auto settings in most situations for shutter will produce a great picture, but motion is complete crap with blurring and ghosting.

In my opinion, shutter and gain are the two most important and then base the others off of it.

Many people do not realize there is manual shutter that lets you adjust shutter and gain and a shutter priority that only lets you adjust shutter speed but not gain. The higher the gain, the bigger the noise and see-through ghosting start to appear because the noise is amplified. Most people select shutter priority and run a faster shutter than they should because it is likely being done at 100 gain, so it is actually defeating their purpose of a faster shutter.

Go into shutter settings and change to manual shutter and start with custom shutter as ms and change to 0-8.3ms and gain 0-50 (night) and 0-30 (day)for starters. Auto could have a shutter speed of 100ms or more with a gain at 100 and shutter priority could result in gain up at 100 which will contribute to significant ghosting.

Now what you will notice immediately at night is that your image gets A LOT darker. That faster the shutter, the more light that is needed. But it is a balance. The nice bright night image results in Casper during motion LOL. What do we want, a nice static image or a clean image when there is motion introduced to the scene?

So if it is too dark, then start adding ms to the time. Go to 10ms, 12ms, etc. until you find what you feel is acceptable as an image. Then have someone walk around and see if you can get a clean shot. Try not to go above 30ms as that tends to be the point where blur starts to occur. Conversely, if it is still bright, then drop down in time to get a faster shutter.

You can also adjust brightness and contrast to improve the image.

You can also add some gain to brighten the image - but the higher the gain, the more ghosting you get. Some cameras can go to 70 or so before it is an issue and some can't go over 50.

But adjusting those two settings will have the biggest impact. The next one is noise reduction. Want to keep that as low as possible. Depending on the amount of light you have, you might be able to get down to 40 or so at night (again camera dependent) and 25-30 during the day, but take it as low as you can before it gets too noisy. Again this one is a balance as well. Too smooth and no noise can result in soft images and contribute to blur.

And if your cheap camera doesn't let you adjust these settings, then you are stuck with Casper at night LOL....

PapaBill

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Being Held Hostage in Central Calif By Democrats.
First problem is a cheap 4K LOL. There are too many compromises to get 8MP at a reasonable price. And will result in poor night time performance after you dial it In and not run on auto settings that results in blur motion.

It is simple LOL do not chase MP - do not buy a 4MP camera that is anything other than a 1/1.8" sensor. Do not buy a 2MP camera that is anything other than a 1/2.8" sensor. Most 4k are on the same sensor as a 2MP and thus the 2MP will kick a 4k butt all night long as the 4k will need 4 times the light than the 2MP... 4k will do very poor at night unless you have stadium quality lighting (well a lot of lighting LOL).

Light (white light or IR) is certainly a much needed friend to these types of cameras!

As you have seen, auto settings in most situations for shutter will produce a great picture, but motion is complete crap with blurring and ghosting.

In my opinion, shutter and gain are the two most important and then base the others off of it.

Many people do not realize there is manual shutter that lets you adjust shutter and gain and a shutter priority that only lets you adjust shutter speed but not gain. The higher the gain, the bigger the noise and see-through ghosting start to appear because the noise is amplified. Most people select shutter priority and run a faster shutter than they should because it is likely being done at 100 gain, so it is actually defeating their purpose of a faster shutter.

Go into shutter settings and change to manual shutter and start with custom shutter as ms and change to 0-8.3ms and gain 0-50 (night) and 0-30 (day)for starters. Auto could have a shutter speed of 100ms or more with a gain at 100 and shutter priority could result in gain up at 100 which will contribute to significant ghosting.

Now what you will notice immediately at night is that your image gets A LOT darker. That faster the shutter, the more light that is needed. But it is a balance. The nice bright night image results in Casper during motion LOL. What do we want, a nice static image or a clean image when there is motion introduced to the scene?

So if it is too dark, then start adding ms to the time. Go to 10ms, 12ms, etc. until you find what you feel is acceptable as an image. Then have someone walk around and see if you can get a clean shot. Try not to go above 30ms as that tends to be the point where blur starts to occur. Conversely, if it is still bright, then drop down in time to get a faster shutter.

You can also adjust brightness and contrast to improve the image.

You can also add some gain to brighten the image - but the higher the gain, the more ghosting you get. Some cameras can go to 70 or so before it is an issue and some can't go over 50.

But adjusting those two settings will have the biggest impact. The next one is noise reduction. Want to keep that as low as possible. Depending on the amount of light you have, you might be able to get down to 40 or so at night (again camera dependent) and 25-30 during the day, but take it as low as you can before it gets too noisy. Again this one is a balance as well. Too smooth and no noise can result in soft images and contribute to blur.

And if your cheap camera doesn't let you adjust these settings, then you are stuck with Casper at night LOL....
I agree I just got them as a temp protection since we are tearing the fence down and putting up a new fence, gonna put the nvr in a net cage and leave it for the new owner when we sell, then like I told my wife our next house is gonna be dahua 100%.
good-bye Calif.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I agree I just got them as a temp protection since we are tearing the fence down and putting up a new fence, gonna put the nvr in a net cage and leave it for the new owner when we sell, then like I told my wife our next house is gonna be dahua 100%.
good-bye Calif.
Good move sir!