Gigabit PoE Switch Question

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm finding a few Gigabit PoE switches on eBay and see that some of them offer only 2-4 switches that are Gigabit speed.

Are these practical for good video? I've heard some stories of people having issues that we resolved by upping their 10/100 to gigabit speed.

I'm just curious if those fixes are due to the gigabit connection to their router and PC/NVR or if there is a legitimate benefit from using gigabit ports to the cameras directly.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
as long as your NVR is GigE and your uplink is GigE the camera ports will negotiate to 100Mbit FastEthernet tops anyhow.

lots of people use FastEthernet switches with a few GigE Uplink ports for IPCamera use, they are suitable for the job at hand.. just be weary of FE Switches that consume a ton of power, even at idle.

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
as long as your NVR is GigE and your uplink is GigE the camera ports will negotiate to 100Mbit FastEthernet tops anyhow.

lots of people use FastEthernet switches with a few GigE Uplink ports for IPCamera use, they are suitable for the job at hand.. just be weary of FE Switches that consume a ton of power, even at idle.
How about something like this?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Linksys-Cisco-SRW224G4P-24-Port-10-100-PoE-Managed-Switch-4-Gigabit-Ports-/222161538903?hash=item33b9dc0f57:g:uegAAOSw-4BXaZxn

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.