Given camera sensor size and mm - is there a table for the equivalent full-frame (35mm) focal length

saltwater

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What I would like to do, is using my Nikon full-frame (35mm) camera, is determine the preferred image, then take note of the focal length. Using that focal length calculate the focal length required for a surveillance camera in order to have the same or similar image.

Is there such a table available or a program to calculate the figures?

saltwater

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Shameless way to bump this post. Today, I'm off to my house that is under construction and will take a series of photos from my Nikon 35mm full-frame camera. I'll be using a 24 - 70 mm zoom lens. I'll take photos from the planned CCTV camera positions and take note of the focal length settings. For my preferred images, that is, what I would like my Dahua cameras to also capture, what is the calculation from the full-frame camera (given and known settings) to CCTV camera settings?

Brazeal

n3wb
Reaction score
Use the IPVM Tool instead found here: IPVM Camera Calculator V3
I have a full-frame Nikon as well, so I know what you're thinking, but there is a big difference between a 35mm full-frame sensor on a high end camera and a 1/2.8" or 1/1.8" security camera sensor. The IPVM tool will give you an idea of what lens you'll need at a given location, and many also make a test rig to confirm location before mounting their cameras. Hope that helps.

saltwater

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks for the link.

I understand there is a big difference in the quality of images between a proper full-frame camera and smaller CCTV cameras, it's more to replicate the field of view.