Gland size for CAT6

amrogers3

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I know this has been asked before but in the posts I could find, the OP was looking to attach conduit. Is there a gland that both fit Dahua junction boxes and tighten down only using CAT5/CAT6, without using conduit?

The set I bought off Amazon and the only sets I can find will fit the Dahua junction boxes but the diameter of the hole is too big to tighten down on an ethernet cable.

I screwed up where I drilled the hole for the CAT6 and need a gland to secure the cable where it enters the box. Here is a pic for reference.

IMG_5534.JPG

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score

amrogers3

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks sebastiontombs, but I dont think those will work either. CAT6 is ~6mm or 1/4" diameter. The problem with the glands is if it can fit the cable, then it is too small to screw into the junction box. If it can screw into the junction box, then it is too big to tighten down on an ethernet cable.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Jayordon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I
Thanks sebastiontombs, but I dont think those will work either. CAT6 is ~6mm or 1/4" diameter. The problem with the glands is if it can fit the cable, then it is too small to screw into the junction box. If it can screw into the junction box, then it is too big to tighten down on an ethernet cable.
Would just wrap some electrical tape around the wire so the gland can wrap around it better.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score

rolibr24

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

amrogers3

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That's an easy problem to solve. Just a 1/2"x3/4" reducing bushing from Home Depot, Lowes or Amazon.
Dude, you just saved the day, I had no idea these existed. Thank you!!

If you do that, use a self amalgamating tape like Coax Seal. That stuff is truly water tight.
Just ordered this, thank you for the recommendations bud, much appreciated!!

Last edited:

icpilot

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I know this has been asked before but in the posts I could find, the OP was looking to attach conduit. Is there a gland that both fit Dahua junction boxes and tighten down only using CAT5/CAT6, without using conduit?

The set I bought off Amazon and the only sets I can find will fit the Dahua junction boxes but the diameter of the hole is too big to tighten down on an ethernet cable.

I screwed up where I drilled the hole for the CAT6 and need a gland to secure the cable where it enters the box. Here is a pic for reference.

View attachment 113164

You may have already found your answer in previous posts, but to your original question about glands for Cat 6, I found the best fitting are in this set of glands .... Amazon.com. With all the options available in the set, you should be able to find something to fit well.

IHTH

amrogers3

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You may have already found your answer in previous posts, but to your original question about glands for Cat 6, I found the best fitting are in this set of glands .... Amazon.com. With all the options available in the set, you should be able to find something to fit well.
That two cable connection coupler is exactly what I am looking for, thanks for posting that.

amrogers3

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
  1. Could I use this to get a 3/4 gland attached to a 1/2 opening? Any issues using PVC connector on metal junction box? Amazon.com
  2. Also, do I need to use plumbers tape on the glands that screw into the junction box to make them watertight?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
That adapter is strictly a female/female adapter. You could use it with a "short" 1/2" nipple, a "short" 3/4" nipple and a 3/4" coupling to change the gender and get to 3/4" but that's a lot of hardware.

The threads on the gland and in the box are tapered slightly and will seal pretty well unless the box goes underwater. Worst case, teflon tape (plumbers tape) or seal it with silicon around the fitting once it's assembled. If you use silicon be prepared o fight with it to get it apart again.

amrogers3

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I dont follow, that adapter I posted is a 1/2 male to 3/4 female. Maybe I should create a new post instead of getting off topic, but I am trying to put a very small piece of liquid-tight between two mismatched junction boxes. Dahua makes the circular jbox 1/2" and the square jbox is 3/4".

I was going to use that coax seal you recommended. Bought some off Amazon should be here Friday.

The one on the right is 1/2". The one on the left is 3/4". How can I get liquid-tight from one to the other with mismatched hole sizes? Tried to get some help in home depot today but the only thing they can do is tell you where to find it, not what to buy.

IMG_5548.JPG

Last edited:

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
PG6/PG7 is the gland to fit the cable....
Is there a screw in cap/block that would fit the junction boxes? Then drill a hole in the cap for the gland.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
If you want to use liquid tite the easiest way would be to use 1/2" liquid tite and a 3/4x1/2" reducer in the box with the 3/4" hub. Going from a smaller hub, threaded hole, to a large conduit size takes more than just a simple reducing bushing styled adapter, which isn't made to my knowlege.