glitch with 'Combine or cut' feature

wseaton

n3wb
Reaction score
Currently running BI with 6 Axis cameras and working the glitches out before adding more.

Over the weekend I enabled the 'combine or cut' feature with all the cams so that footage is an hour in length. This makes auditing much easier and keeps files from growing to monster sizes which makes is easier on us. Also a personal preference.

Oddly, after enabling this, 3 of our cameras now record continuously even if there's nothing in the frame moving (business is closed). The other 3 cameras do as expected.

Settings are identical on all cameras - we only do motion detect. Only thing I recall being different is the 3 cameras having the issue were created after the last patch, but that might be just coincidence.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Currently running BI with 6 Axis cameras and working the glitches out before adding more.

Over the weekend I enabled the 'combine or cut' feature with all the cams so that footage is an hour in length. This makes auditing much easier and keeps files from growing to monster sizes which makes is easier on us. Also a personal preference.

Oddly, after enabling this, 3 of our cameras now record continuously even if there's nothing in the frame moving (business is closed). The other 3 cameras do as expected.

Settings are identical on all cameras - we only do motion detect. Only thing I recall being different is the 3 cameras having the issue were created after the last patch, but that might be just coincidence.
Are you sure they are actually recording continuously or they just have a continuous line in the timeline....if you use combine and cut the timeline will indicate recording when there isnt any...Ken is aware of this but, the current way the timeline and database is designed, there is not way to fix it..

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I see @fenderman comment and wanted to include that I was seeing the continuous line in the timeline yesterday after updating to 4.0.9.12, but a reboot fixed it. I am not using the combine or cut feature.

Last edited by a moderator:

wseaton

n3wb
Reaction score
Are you sure they are actually recording continuously or they just have a continuous line in the timeline....if you use combine and cut the timeline will indicate recording when there isnt any...Ken is aware of this but, the current way the timeline and database is designed, there is not way to fix it..
Nah... they are running all night.

Hold on, might have found something. Ok, one thing different about the three cameras running all night is our cleaning crew shut the lights off (like they should) in those areas when they were done. While this in itself isn't a problem, it does crank up the noise in the cameras quite a bit. I turned the lights off in one of the areas as a test, enabled visible motion detect, and it went crazy with all the noise. I had sensitivity turned up to max. I tweaked sensitivity down a bit until the noise threshold wasn't kicking the software in, and we'll see what happens tonight.

Promise not to laugh Felderman if that's the problem :)

wseaton

n3wb
Reaction score
Yep...that was it. I had to reduce the contrast slider down to about half so ambient noise wouldn't set the motion trigger. I'm slowly going to be adding better cameras and replacing the older AXIS M1054's and 3005's with Hikvisions...testing a 2432 right now and the image quality is far and above the Axis units. Lower noise floor should allow more granular sensitivity settings. I'll keep the AXIS units in brighter rooms.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yep...that was it. I had to reduce the contrast slider down to about half so ambient noise wouldn't set the motion trigger. I'm slowly going to be adding better cameras and replacing the older AXIS M1054's and 3005's with Hikvisions...testing a 2432 right now and the image quality is far and above the Axis units. Lower noise floor should allow more granular sensitivity settings. I'll keep the AXIS units in brighter rooms.
The hik has noise reduction which helps reduce noise even further..note that if you wish you can use the pir sensor and/or the line cross/motion detection on the 2432 to trigger blue iris...