GMAIL to no longer allow less secure apps

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This might affect many folks here that use GMAIL in their NVR or Blue Iris for notifications.

Less secure apps & your Google Account
To help keep your account secure, starting May 30, 2022, Google will no longer support the use of third-party apps or devices which ask you to sign in to your Google Account using only your username and password.
Please note this deadline does not apply to Google Workspace or Google Cloud Identity customers. The enforcement date for these customers will be announced on the Workspace blog at a later date.
For more information, please continue reading.

Special Note on Apple Device Sign-Ins. Users who have not recently signed into their Google Account using only username and password will be able to only make new sign in attempts using the Google account type starting from February 28, 2022. Existing users may continue to sign into their Google Account using their username and password until May 30, 2022.

If an app or site doesn’t meet our security standards, Google might block anyone who’s trying to sign in to your account from it. Less secure apps can make it easier for hackers to get in to your account, so blocking sign-ins from these apps helps keep your account safe.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This might affect many folks here that use GMAIL in their NVR or Blue Iris for notifications.

Less secure apps & your Google Account
To help keep your account secure, starting May 30, 2022, Google will no longer support the use of third-party apps or devices which ask you to sign in to your Google Account using only your username and password.
Please note this deadline does not apply to Google Workspace or Google Cloud Identity customers. The enforcement date for these customers will be announced on the Workspace blog at a later date.
For more information, please continue reading.

Special Note on Apple Device Sign-Ins. Users who have not recently signed into their Google Account using only username and password will be able to only make new sign in attempts using the Google account type starting from February 28, 2022. Existing users may continue to sign into their Google Account using their username and password until May 30, 2022.

If an app or site doesn’t meet our security standards, Google might block anyone who’s trying to sign in to your account from it. Less secure apps can make it easier for hackers to get in to your account, so blocking sign-ins from these apps helps keep your account safe.
It doesn't clearly state about Google accounts with 2-factor authentication enabled and then application passwords.

Hopefully 2FA with app passwords would be 'the' work around. GOOD! I welcome this so people setup separate passwords for their devices to login with.

spuls

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
the above link already describes app passwords as solutions for specific problems under "fix problems".

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Correct, but this post was created to let people know it is coming so all of a sudden we are not bombarded with "why am I not getting any text messages" blah blah blah...

Plus, until that date, we have no idea if GMAIL will accept BI or an NVR as the link in "fix problems" recognizes that not every "app" will work....

1646401707941.png

Further, while not recommended, some people expose their cameras to the internet and use the camera to send them messages. Some of these limit the character length and I am sure someone will run into a problem where their device won't allow 16 character passcodes.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Since I started using PushOver, I've been removing all the gmail/email notifications. PushOver is faster and more reliable as a result, well worth the $5 fee.
For folks new to this, Pushover has two ways to use the app.

1. You are given a pushover email address and you set up your BI alerts to send an email to this pushover email and it then pushes a notification to you on the Pushover app. This is the simplest way to set up an alert. But this requires BI to have access to your email account to send these out, just like it does if you set up an SMS alert. And depending on what happens with gmail, this may not be an option for gmail after this May deadline.
  2. Pushover has an API that you can use. It also has a limit of 10,000 API requests per month. This one can get a little more complicated and is not as simple as the pushover email option. You can find many threads here and github downloads of scripts and things people have developed that you can use. But you do have to set some things up. Fortunately, another member here has found a somewhat simpler way to make this happen and is in this thread:

In my testing, the pushover email and the API were right on top of one another in receiving the push, but some have experienced faster pushes with the API, which is what I would expect. YMMV

Last edited: