bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Can like NVR's monitor multiple DVR's with SmartPSS

webgui11.jpg

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
So got the first location working today :)

The 4208-8P-4KS2 found both the Dahua 8231 Overview cam and an old 1MP Axis camera, a 1354, that pulls LPR duty in the cul-de-sac.

Am able to login to both of the camera web servers directly from the 4208 interface so that;s a good thing. Bad news is that remotely from my house down the street, I can login to the NVR web interface but can't open the cameras web servers... I think it's because I'm no longer "inside" the network as I was when plugged into the router at the pole, and remotely it cant find the cameras 10.1.1.X subnet that the NVR assigns them..

Couple of issues:
1- Most important, the Netgear N750 router apparently does NOT have OpenVPN capabilities built on and I'm lost as to how to implement a VPN otherwise... any ideas?

2- I think that if I had the VPN thing sorted out I could once again hit the camera web interface remotely as I'd be "inside" the NVR LAN..?

3- The Axis camera is recording full time but seems to be ignoring MD. The MD interface on the NVR doesnt play well with it I think. May be a good excuse for another 5231e-z12. The Axis firmware is way more complicated than the Dahua and more than it needs to be, but regardless of what Ive played with, no MD recording :(

4- The Axis wont play well with the time overlay on the video, which for LPR is kinda important.

If I cant get the Axis symptoms fixed I'm gonna have to spend another $400 and get a couple of more 5231e-z12's as these are my Tag cameras... shame as the Axis worked fine with the cloud based system..

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Still no joy getting the Axis 1354 ro record MD or show it on the NVR timeline... Its recording full stream 24/7 but this is a tag camera and really wanted to make the MD work as before....:(

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So got the first location working today :)

The 4208-8P-4KS2 found both the Dahua 8231 Overview cam and an old 1MP Axis camera, a 1354, that pulls LPR duty in the cul-de-sac.

Am able to login to both of the camera web servers directly from the 4208 interface so that;s a good thing. Bad news is that remotely from my house down the street, I can login to the NVR web interface but can't open the cameras web servers... I think it's because I'm no longer "inside" the network as I was when plugged into the router at the pole, and remotely it cant find the cameras 10.1.1.X subnet that the NVR assigns them..

Couple of issues:
1- Most important, the Netgear N750 router apparently does NOT have OpenVPN capabilities built on and I'm lost as to how to implement a VPN otherwise... any ideas?

2- I think that if I had the VPN thing sorted out I could once again hit the camera web interface remotely as I'd be "inside" the NVR LAN..?

3- The Axis camera is recording full time but seems to be ignoring MD. The MD interface on the NVR doesnt play well with it I think. May be a good excuse for another 5231e-z12. The Axis firmware is way more complicated than the Dahua and more than it needs to be, but regardless of what Ive played with, no MD recording :(

4- The Axis wont play well with the time overlay on the video, which for LPR is kinda important.

If I cant get the Axis symptoms fixed I'm gonna have to spend another $400 and get a couple of more 5231e-z12's as these are my Tag cameras... shame as the Axis worked fine with the cloud based system..
1-You can see if DD-WRT or Tomato firmware is compatible with that router. Easiest is to swap them for Ausus 68 router that has OpenVPN included. https://www.amazon.com/Dual-band-Wireless-AC1900-Gigabit-Router-RT-AC68U/dp/B00FB45SI4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1514836658&sr=8-1&keywords=asus+router+rt-ac68u

2-Not sure you can, even with VPN. That's why a lot of folks use POE switchs instead of POE NVRs.

3-Is this motion setup on the cam or on the NVR. Maybe turn off motion, then setup in NVR. Disclaimer: I know NOTHING about NVR's. ;)

4-Can the cam generate the time overlay? It should I'd think.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks Looney, Yep looking into DD-WRT

Yeah pretty sure if I can VPN in I can hit the cameras as I do when logged in at the router and issued a 192.168.1.X address..you go to the registration page in the NVR and there is a link to each camera web interface. Works great. Once inside the LAN it would work the same way.

Tried both NVR and camera MD separate and together and nada. Seems the implementation on the older Axis is Greek to the Dahua NVR..oh well, I get to order another Z-12 from Andy ;)

You would think the time overlay would be simple, but again tried both ways with cam and NVR and the Axis ignores it. Still digging into all of the possible settings on the Axis 1354... man for like $800 when new, what a POS compared to the 52XX and 82XX series Dahua's...

MR2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'd use something PC or Server based as the Recorder over a NVR anyday...

you have a lot of crap up those poles, I'd run a PoE switch/UPS/Gigabit Ethernet to Fibre converter and run it all back to a single location for the NVR, those business connections must be costing a fortune?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Connections are $90 p/mo each. As mentioned, no way to run any kind of wire from the poles to a central point. Digging up streets/sidewalks and through 20 neighbors yards would cost a bit more I think ;) We should be able to reduce that cost now that we're not streaming everything to the cloud.

Only thing on the poles are two cameras....NVR sits in a box along with the modem and router about 40ft away. Its been there for 3 years so I think we'll be ok.

As to the NVR's, I have 4 now and am very pleased. one has been running for 5 years, one for 3 and the others for 2.
Can't think of anything they cant do that I need..... I think its a lot like HDCVI, lost of folks think of old school DVR/NVR's and think they are crap but they've come a long way but unless you've actually played with one recently you wouldnt know.. For those of us who just want reliability and ease of use, the Dahua NVR's are quite capable.

Granted if i planned on mixing and matching camera brands I'd consider a PC based VMS, but with all of the options Dahua brings to the table, I didnt see a need. The two older legacy Axis cameras are being replaced with 5231e-z12's, I installed one today.

MR2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
wow you guys have stuff cheap in the states, for us it'd be $400p/m per connection

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
They arent particularly fancy connections, just 10MB up and 100MB down dedicated IP's. Now with self hosting we wont even need that.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Street light about 30 ft to the left of the camera pole... the 8231 Starlight does pretty well in forced color in this location

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That's an amazing image for colour. Did you get them from Andy? What's the premium over the 5231 series?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
It's really mostly the location/light conditions, though its a great Starlight camera.. The 5231 bullet would likely do just as well.

The LPR cam is a 5231Z-12

I bought the 8231 just before the 8232 came out (much better sensor), dammit. I actually got that one from cctv-mall. They do a good job but "in stock" to them means 20-25 working days ;) I prefer to do business with Andy now

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I bought the 8231 just before the 8232 came out (much better sensor), dammit.
Yeah I was just lusting after that. Only downside is the camera is bigger than the 5231 series which would bolt straight in on the same points as the existing cameras, not to mention you can buy 2 5231's for the price of an 8232 which always goes down well with the minister of finance.

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Ive seen a lot of very complimentary posts on here about the Nano's. I dont have a good LOS to either pole and I'm dead center in the middle of the street that is about 1500' long on a dogleg.