Good alternatives to Dahua cameras.

Rob2020

Known around here
Reaction score
I have six Dahua cams in use, a mix of Andy EmpireTech and a couple Dahua OEM. I have never had any issues with settings and I did not use Pale Moon browser to configure.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well they couldn't be directly hooked to the router since it doesn't provide power, but the intent is get the cameras off of the router completely, like not have the router be a pathway between the camera and how you view them.

I don't think you answered - are you using an NVR or Blue Iris or some other VMS or do you just watch them from SD cards?

But as I mentioned, the cameras touching the internet could mean you are getting hacked and that is the reason for the changing settings.

Night Owl

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well they couldn't be directly hooked to the router since it doesn't provide power, but the intent is get the cameras off of the router completely, like not have the router be a pathway between the camera and how you view them.

I don't think you answered - are you using an NVR or Blue Iris or some other VMS or do you just watch them from SD cards?

But as I mentioned, the cameras touching the internet could mean you are getting hacked and that is the reason for the changing settings.
I don't use Blue Iris or NVR, I use SD cards. I logged in this morning and everything is good except both cameras still aren't recording anything.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ok so post other screenshots showing your motion settings.

Your screenshot earlier shows it set for recording during motion, but that simply gives it the ability to do so, but it is then driven by the settings within MD, SMD, or IVS as to the schedule and what not.

Night Owl

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok so post other screenshots showing your motion settings.

Your screenshot earlier shows it set for recording during motion, but that simply gives it the ability to do so, but it is then driven by the settings within MD, SMD, or IVS as to the schedule and what not.

I discoved that one of my cameras had motion detection dissabled, how that happend I don't know. Here's the setting on the other camera.

1685379291785.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Now make sure that the period is 24/7 and the area is the area you are interested in.

Since you have them touching the internet, it is very possible that bots or someone is turning those features off to conserve bandwidth for their activities.

Best thing would be get them off the router.

And make sure you use Internet Explorer and this will sound crazy, but hit save, refresh, save, refresh, save, refresh to ensure the setting sticks. Many of us do this.

Night Owl

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Now make sure that the period is 24/7 and the area is the area you are interested in.

Since you have them touching the internet, it is very possible that bots or someone is turning those features off to conserve bandwidth for their activities.

Best thing would be get them off the router.

And make sure you use Internet Explorer and this will sound crazy, but hit save, refresh, save, refresh, save, refresh to ensure the setting sticks. Many of us do this.
[/QUO

Okay, I'll look into an NVR as an option.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sometimes if the card gets full then the camera gets wonky.

I would monitor that and make sure it is set to override.

Night Owl

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sometimes if the card gets full then the camera gets wonky.

I would monitor that and make sure it is set to override.
It wasn't full and is set to overide so I'm not sure why it wasn't recording.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I had to default my cameras back to factory setting several times during initial set up due to changing too many things during set up and not knowing what I did wrong. eventually I was able to find where I was making an error and fix it. Just a suggestion.
Try the triple reset method.

Also note, when you insert an SD card for the 1st time, the camera requires a reset.

Finally, make sure in the settings you set the SD car to overwrite when it gets full, otherwise it will get full and stop recording. You need it to loop.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Try the triple reset method.

Also note, when you insert an SD card for the 1st time, the camera requires a reset.

Finally, make sure in the settings you set the SD car to overwrite when it gets full, otherwise it will get full and stop recording. You need it to loop.
I also like to have the camera format the SD card.

Luniz97

n3wb
Reaction score
My Sons buddy has come to his wits end with the Reolink-universe of products. now that he'
s somewhat of a novice he sees the shortcomings of the "easy systems" and the lack of "tunability" for his locations.
So he's ready to move toward what your moving away from.
Maybe try a Reolink system for awhile.
Then clocks will all be syncronized, and you'll be happier.
I’ve had Dahua cameras and I just can’t deal with IE only. It’s 2023, this needs to be updated. Even chrome extension sucks. Everyone here loves iris and Dahua but they aren’t the best, they are ranked high but has big draw backs.

im using a mix of Dahua, reolink, synology, axis and others. I’ve recently seen a Vivint system and granted just a rip off, the cameras and interface/features are great.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah even in 2023, brand new cameras coming off the line are still requiring Internet Explorer and the plug-in in many instances. Some cameras are better than others, but IE is the standard if you don't want problems.

Unfortunately Hikvision and Dahua make many of the other brands out there, so you would potentially have the same experiences. Even 5 times the cost Axis still recommends Internet Explorer LOL.

Here is a thread from just this week about a Hikvision needing Explorer.

As I point out in Post #4, you have to remember that the homeowner isn't the Dahua and Hikvision target audience, it is the professional installers that are authorized to sell and install this gear, so we cannot purchase directly and thus they will not take your phone call for support related questions or suggestions - they will tell you to talk to the installer you purchased from. Many people have bought a "Hikvision" or Dahua from Amazon or some shady foreign website and when they call Hikvision or Dahua for support they basically tell them to go pound salt. We simply are not their intended market to sell to and they will not take your call for support...Lot's of threads here confirming this, including one from a few months ago where someone tried to call for support and they told them sorry talk to your installer....

We are just fortunate to be able to get our hands on these types of cameras and a forum like this to help us troubleshoot when needed.

We simply are not their intended user, so if you want it simpler and more user-friendly, then you need to go to consumer grade stuff like Ring, Arlo, Nest, Reolink, Blink, Eufy, etc where you simply scan a QR code and you are good to go. There interfaces and ease of use are generally better, but they are not very secure and the imagery won't be as good, but it is simple to get going.

Further their intended market is businesses, so they have lots of light and can get away with auto settings, so most never have to get into the camera GUI and simply look at the video feeds via an NVR hooked to a monitor, so they never deal with the plug-in.

You really need to be asking yourself do you want quality cameras to capture quality video at night with motion OR do you want the simplicity scan a QR code and be tricked into thinking you have a good system (that is actually a security risk and crappy video with motion at night)? Unfortunately you can't get both.

The consumer grade Ring and Arlos and Reolink and Blink and whatever you can buy at a big box store sells just that - simplicity plug-n-play devices with very little ability to tweak settings. But that simplicity comes at the expense of usable video with motion, especially at night.

I don't think many here would agree that Synology, Reolink, Vivint cameras are better than Dahua. Axis would be for some models, but not worth the 2-5 times the cost.

Or go with Vivint and then not be able to get the clean capture of a perp at night and we can add your images to this thread LOL

Last edited: