Good deal Annke 180 degree dual 1/1.8 for $220?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm late to the party can anyone tell me about mounting this Annke turret camera?

Going by a review on youtube there is no way to make adjustments if the camera is not mounted on a perfectly flat service. Where the dahu T180/empiretech can be adjutsed.
Yes, the design of this turret is not as flexible as other turrets I've had. Most turrets let you rotate with 3 degrees of freedom. With the Annke/Hik it is only 2 degrees of freedom. I wall mounted mine, which means it can't be panned left and right; it can only point straight out. But that is fine because the view angle is 180° so any angle other than straight out would just make it see a lot of the wall it is mounted on.

Like, pretend the camera is this airplane.

1669500842248.png

If you wall-mount the camera, then you don't have a Yaw Axis.

If you ceiling mount the camera, then you don't have a Roll axis.

Last edited:

Tazz 316

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Mine would be mounted to a soffit which is not flat.

Reaction score
Purchased 2x fcd600 for 90usd ($133AUD) each delivered, from Annke website, they have a 2.8 sensor, which I won't like because I like a good colour night image but for the price difference between them and the NCD800 of $280USD ($416AUD) I decided I would add some additional garden light if the current available light isn't enough, it will be a good cheap fun project to add a street view to my blue iris setup :+)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The Hook-Up's latest, on panoramic cameras. Some post-Thanksgiving red meat for this forum...
Is anyone else surprised he didn't make Reolink the number 1 choice LOL

His videos are certainly getting better, but still suffer from trying to use digital zoom that we all know only works in Hollywood.

Here is his Number 2 and Number 1 choices. The Empiretech is 3.6mm and the Annke is 4.0mm and this is a 25 foot digital zoom. Which do you prefer?

1669654993922.png

1669655035078.png

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Is anyone else surprised he didn't make Reolink the number 1 choice LOL

His videos are certainly getting better, but still suffer from trying to use digital zoom that we all know only works in Hollywood.

Here is his Number 2 and Number 1 choices. The Empiretech is 3.6mm and the Annke is 4.0mm and this is a 25 foot digital zoom. Which do you prefer?

View attachment 146768

View attachment 146769
Hookup guy always run a lot when do the testings. Lol.

Nunofya

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Are you supposed to be able to do B/W with an IR light? I thought only color.

Electronic Shutter Speed : Auto/Manual 1/3 s–1/100,000 s

Min. Illumination: 0.0005 lux@F1.0 (Color, 30 IRE)0.0002 lux@F1.0 (B/W, 30 IRE)0 lux (Illuminator on)

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
That is an interesting remark. Digital zoom is a very important tool for reviewing security video so you can make sure you're seeing all the detail that has been captured. That is the same reason he digitally zooms in on sections of the camera videos when producing the YouTube video. Because otherwise the ability to see pixel-level details would be lost by YouTube's compression and the lack of clientside digital zoom.

Neither is great. The Empiretech/Dahua appears to be using at least twice the exposure time which makes for a brighter and less-noisy picture, but more motion blur. I'd want to see examples in a more controlled environment (equivalent camera settings, same event being captured simultaneously, etc), but the aspect ratio foolery that Dahua is doing makes it a non-starter for me when it is using the same sensor as the Annke.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is an interesting remark. Digital zoom is a very important tool for reviewing security video so you can make sure you're seeing all the detail that has been captured. That is the same reason he digitally zooms in on sections of the camera videos when producing the YouTube video. Because otherwise the ability to see pixel-level details would be lost by YouTube's compression and the lack of clientside digital zoom.
What I meant by my comment is that OPTICAL zoom will beat DIGITAL zoom when you get beyond the realistic expectations of the focal length for a camera. We may get by with a little digital zoom in ideal conditions, but we certainly do not see Hollywood type clarity.

Digital zoom is good if the subject is within the IDENTIFY range and maybe the RECOGNIZE range of the camera and yes you might be able to pick up some additional details. But he continues to push beyond the reasonable digital zoom realities of these cameras especially at night.

So here is a digital zoom from the newest 4K/T camera, which is an incredible camera and gives great images when the subject is within the ideal IDENTIFY range, and yes you can digital zoom at that range to pick up some more detail, but at 110 feet away, DIGITAL zoom won't cut it:

Walker4kdigital.jpg

Versus a 2MP varifocal that is OPTICALLY zoomed to the focal length for the IDENTIFY distance of 110 feet away:

Walker2MPoptical.jpg

Which one is better? I will take the 2MP all day (and night LOL).

And that is the intent of my comment. He should do the running man and standing test within the ideal IDENTIFY range of the camera for the focal length it has and not do a digital zoom. Let's see what the camera can do when it isn't pushed beyond its limits.

I do not know enough about the YouTube compression and what not, but I would expect that if it could be read when not digitally zoomed, it could probably be read with the YouTube compression.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You're right, every professional camera review should include samples of subjects at a variety of ranges.
Even more so when comparing cameras of different focal lengths. Of course a 4mm focal length will look better at most distances than a 2.8mm. Having the subject be at the same distance for camera testing of different focal lengths will artificially favor the higher focal length camera.