good deal on BI PC?

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Seems like a decent price for a PC for Blue Iris

some of those sff dells particularly the 3000 series dont have an m.2 slot for the ssd. You will need to remove the dvd drive etc. i would make a best offer on something like this, 2 years newer, that is much more powerful for a few extra dollars. Dell Optiplex 3060 i5-8500 3.00GHz 8gbRAM 500gbHDD Win10 Pro | eBay

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
some of those sff dells particularly the 3000 series dont have an m.2 slot for the ssd. You will need to remove the dvd drive etc. i would make a best offer on something like this, 2 years newer, that is much more powerful for a few extra dollars. Dell Optiplex 3060 i5-8500 3.00GHz 8gbRAM 500gbHDD Win10 Pro | eBay
Thanks. I was looking to help a neighbor get setup with a basic system. I don't keep up on the latest PC stuff. I researched the PC I use a few years ago and forgot all the specs. Your suggestion is definitely better.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks. I was looking to help a neighbor get setup with a basic system. I don't keep up on the latest PC stuff. I researched the PC I use a few years ago and forgot all the specs.
There was a serious power increase in the 8th gen from 7th. Basically an 8th gen i5 is about 10 percent faster than a 7th gen i7 and much faster than the i5-6500 in the other auction.

Reaction score

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
You could also look for an HP Prodesk 600 G4... They have an M.2 slot and room for one HDD.

Glad I asked. One HHD is probably fine. Plan is for 3 cameras. One of those cameras will be a perfect overview of the street I park my work trucks on, just outside our neighborhood, as the back of his house is up against that street. I told him I would provide the third camera for the street and help get him all setup with everything.

Reaction score
Glad I asked. One HHD is probably fine. Plan is for 3 cameras. One of those cameras will be a perfect overview of the street I park my work trucks on, just outside our neighborhood, as the back of his house is up against that street. I told him I would provide the third camera for the street and help get him all setup with everything.
I am using a 4th gen i5 with 8 cameras on it continuous recording. With use of substreams, I am running about 8% to 10% cpu, jumping about 5% more with ui3 running somewhere, and more with the console open and RD. If my old 4th gen i5 purrs like that, an 8th gen with only 3 cameras running would barely scratch the power of that cpu-- all kinds of room to add a lot more cameras.

I've seen a lot of HP Elitedesk SFF (2hdd's) I5-8500 on ebay the past week for approximately $200, and less.
Some examples here: Link
I looked on HP's site-- looks like it has TWO M.2 slots. That could be handy

Elitedesk 800 G4 sff manual:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am using a 4th gen i5 with 8 cameras on it continuous recording. With use of substreams, I am running about 8% to 10% cpu, jumping about 5% more with ui3 running somewhere, and more with the console open and RD. If my old 4th gen i5 purrs like that, an 8th gen with only 3 cameras running would barely scratch the power of that cpu-- all kinds of room to add a lot more cameras.

I looked on HP's site-- looks like it has TWO M.2 slots. That could be handy

Elitedesk 800 G4 sff manual:
The headroom is also important for AI.

Reaction score
The headroom is also important for AI.
I always forget about that--- I have not ventured into any of it and don't see a personal need right now. Perhaps with teenage daughters, I should start a catalog of faces of their friends coming over....and when... Damnit--- do I need to update my BI machine now? LOL

00Buck

Known around here
Reaction score
Seems like a decent price for a PC for Blue Iris

I looked at his Feedback and 10 negative for the last month canceling orders because of wrong price on items and wanting more for them.