Good long distance cameras.

Reaction score
Looking for fixed cameras that are good for 40 to 100 ft. I would assume I want something with optical zoom. Also would like a good ptz camera to use in conjunction with the fixed ones. I have acreage sized property with a pool and pole buildings. Lots of area to cover.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here are my general distance recommendations, but switch out the Dahua 5442 series camera to the equivalent 2MP on the 1/2.8" sensor or equivalent Hikvision works as well.
  • 5442 fixed lens 2.8mm or the 4K/X - anything within 10 feet of camera OR as an overview camera
  • 5442 ZE - varifocal - distances up to 40-50 feet (personally I wouldn't go past the 30 foot range but I like things closer)
  • 5442 Z4E - anything up to 80-100 feet (personally I wouldn't go past 60 feet but I like things closer)
  • 5241-Z12E - anything from 80 feet to almost 200 feet (personally I wouldn't go past 150 feet because I like things closer)
  • 5241-Z12E - for a license plate cam that you would angle up the street to get plates up to about 175 feet away, or up to 220 with additional IR.
  • 49225 PTZ - great auto-track PTZ and in conjunction with an NVR or Blue Iris and the cameras above that you can use as spotter cams to point the PTZ to the correct location to compliment the fixed cams.
You need to get the correct camera for the area trying to be covered. A wide angle 2.8mm to IDENTIFY someone 40 feet away is the wrong camera regardless of how good the camera is. A 2.8mm camera to IDENTIFY someone within 10 feet is a good choice OR it is an overview camera to see something happened but not be able to identify who.

If you want to see things far away, you need optical zoom, digital zoom only works in the movies and TV...And the optical zoom is done real time - for a varifocal it is a set it and forget it. You cannot go to recorded video and optically zoom in later, at that point it is digital zoom, and the sensors on these cameras are so small which is why digital zoom doesn't work very well after the fact. Digital zoom at night would be basically useless for your situation.

Reaction score
Here are my general distance recommendations, but switch out the Dahua 5442 series camera to the equivalent 2MP on the 1/2.8" sensor or equivalent Hikvision works as well.
  • 5442 fixed lens 2.8mm or the 4K/X - anything within 10 feet of camera OR as an overview camera
  • 5442 ZE - varifocal - distances up to 40-50 feet (personally I wouldn't go past the 30 foot range but I like things closer)
  • 5442 Z4E - anything up to 80-100 feet (personally I wouldn't go past 60 feet but I like things closer)
  • 5241-Z12E - anything from 80 feet to almost 200 feet (personally I wouldn't go past 150 feet because I like things closer)
  • 5241-Z12E - for a license plate cam that you would angle up the street to get plates up to about 175 feet away, or up to 220 with additional IR.
  • 49225 PTZ - great auto-track PTZ and in conjunction with an NVR or Blue Iris and the cameras above that you can use as spotter cams to point the PTZ to the correct location to compliment the fixed cams.
You need to get the correct camera for the area trying to be covered. A wide angle 2.8mm to IDENTIFY someone 40 feet away is the wrong camera regardless of how good the camera is. A 2.8mm camera to IDENTIFY someone within 10 feet is a good choice OR it is an overview camera to see something happened but not be able to identify who.

If you want to see things far away, you need optical zoom, digital zoom only works in the movies and TV...And the optical zoom is done real time - for a varifocal it is a set it and forget it. You cannot go to recorded video and optically zoom in later, at that point it is digital zoom, and the sensors on these cameras are so small which is why digital zoom doesn't work very well after the fact. Digital zoom at night would be basically useless for your situation.
Good info. Thanks!

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
The SD49225XA-HNR is actually a better choice than the SD49425XB-HNR. The 49225 is a 2mp camera while the 49425 is a 4mp camera. They both have a 1/2.8 sensor size, so the 2mp camera will significantly out perform the 4mp in low/no light situations. While the 1080p resolution might seem low, the fact that it is a PTZ camera and you can zoom into the subject minimizes this issue. The 49225 model can still "identify" someone 528' away from the camera. While I don't fully trust those DORI numbers (they always seem a little high vs real life performance), it will certainly be effective out past 300'.

If you choose either of these models, be sure to get them either from the IPCam store or directly from "Empire Andy" here on the forum because his models still have a firmware that supports auto-tracking. If you buy one elsewhere, it will have a firmware that doesn't have auto-tracking and let's be honest - autotracking is pretty much a "must have" with these PTZ cameras because they will not be live monitored 24/7 by someone.

Sammyf

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have to cover backside of a building with two cameras. The cameras would be watching each others. There’s relatively short distance to the next property. I cannot watch the next property through the cameras. So I’ve played around with IPVM and some other calculators and saw that with 5241E-Z12E or 5442E-Z4E the width of field of view would be good for the purpose. However, I couldn’t decide between the cameras.

So I took a DSLR (photography) camera and used tape measure to zoom to correct width. Then I was able to see how the positioning of the camera and the zoom would look like. From the calculators I could see that the PPM would be enough to identify at the right distances. But now I can use the photos to compare the views gained by the two different cameras.

Edited as I found this solution.

Last edited: