Good morning from Omaha, NE!

Reaction score
My name is Stephanie. I work for a furniture retailer in Omaha and am looking for a bit of help. We currently have foscam cameras set up throughout the interior of the building. The former admin chose and installed them. The interface is Blue Iris.

I need to purchase and install new cameras outdoors for security. My knowledge is limited in this arena. I am hoping you all can offer some advice and/or direction of where to start.

I look forward to answering any questions you may have to help make this purchase and installation the best and easiest it can be.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Reaction score
Yes, we are trying to watch entry, parking lot, and delivery docks. I think the furthest distance is 150 feet. At very most. The wind here is Insane. 30 mph winds are nothing.

We had a recent break in and now its urgent, of course. Plus tax season is starting to hit so we need to be able to see people walking out with pillows and such. Spend $2000 on furniture yet steal small stuff. Wacked.

Thanks for the questions and suggestion.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Take a look at the models here: Dahua 2MP Starlight Lineup

You want to be able to ID who did it, not just what happened. So, you need to try out field of views with this tool:Camera Calculator / Design Software
Keep PPF above 100. This is Pixels Per Foot, which is important to id.
This calculator will allow you to overlay a picture of your store and show you what sight lines you could have.

Don't get caught up in the megapixel game, 2mp is fine and will perform the best at night.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Take a look at the models here: Dahua 2MP Starlight Lineup

You want to be able to ID who did it, not just what happened. So, you need to try out field of views with this tool:Camera Calculator / Design Software
Keep PPF above 100. This is Pixels Per Foot, which is important to id.
This calculator will allow you to overlay a picture of your store and show you what sight lines you could have.

Don't get caught up in the megapixel game, 2mp is fine and will perform the best at night.
I'd debate that lol the only place you get good pixel density without leaving big gaps is doorways, more like 2mp currently has the best performance for cost ratio because decent res cameras would cost us an arm and a leg, the security camera industry feeds on our fears and rapes us accordingly...

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
My name is Stephanie. I work for a furniture retailer in Omaha and am looking for a bit of help. We currently have foscam cameras set up throughout the interior of the building. The former admin chose and installed them. The interface is Blue Iris.

I need to purchase and install new cameras outdoors for security. My knowledge is limited in this arena. I am hoping you all can offer some advice and/or direction of where to start.

I look forward to answering any questions you may have to help make this purchase and installation the best and easiest it can be.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!
Normally speaking, foscam just toy cameras, not strictly security cameras.