Good NON-Wireless 10/100/1000 Gigabit Router?

Chust

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looking at buying a good non wireless router. Has to be gigabit! Simple also, this is just for ip cams not the Terminator i'm building.

joshmac

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Chust,

You probably don't need a router if it is just for the IP cams and a NVR or PC. If you manually set the IP's of the cameras and NVR/PC then you can probably get by with a gigabit switch.

My personal setup is 7x Cameras powered all over Ethernet connected to a POE injector then connected to a TP-Link TL-SG1024DE smart switch. It services my house for pretty much everything and has some cool abilities like packet monitoring, which I recently found very handy when identifying a camera pumping out a bunch of bad packets into my network, slowing everything down. Along with VLAN capabilities which allow me to isolate my cameras from the rest of the network and create a trunk port for my NVR to connect to the rest of the network. This allows me to have everything connected while still having them treated as individual networks.

If I were to buy everything over, the only thing I would change would be the switch. I would get a Netgear ProSafe GS110TP (8 ports) the series comes in 8, 16, 24, 32 and 48 ports depending on your needs. Has VLAN, port monitoring, but the 8 port model has POE on every port, eliminating the need for a port injector.

The only real downside to using a switch over a router is you don't have a NAT firewall (which if your connecting to a modem, the modem probably has that) and it does not have DHCP (again, a modem would take care of this, or just set static IP addresses), which if your goal is to just make everything talk to each other, a switch is a good option over a router.

Hope this helps guide you a little.

Kind regards,
Josh

Chust

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you so much! I thought those smart switches could be used in that way. I will give this a shot! Again, thank you!!!

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you so much! I thought those smart switches could be used in that way. I will give this a shot! Again, thank you!!!
The TL-SG1024DE does not appear to support PoE. Don't you want/need PoE to power your cameras?

Chust

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have poe switches and power adapters. Pretty much got the poe part covered. Thanks Q2U!