Good quality Dahua mini bullet camera

ipslascam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a few Hikvision DS-2CD2042WD-I bullet cameras which have always given me trouble, and I was hoping to replace them with Dahuas. I ordered an IPC-B5442E-ZE and was shocked at how huge it was when I opened the box. This would be way too conspicuous to have by my front door. Are there any good performing Dahua bullet cameras that are smaller? I noticed the 5442-ASE is a little smaller, but still quite a bit larger than my current Hikvisions.

ipslascam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
it mounts fine to 2x 3.5" trim (IMO), with one lip slightly over the edge. I do it all the time. I usual use two of the three screw holes (unless it is in a corner, where i can get all three), using quality 1-5/8 or 2" coated deck screws. I tend to not use the mounting box, witch is a bit larger.

If it is out of direct sunlight, and you have a porch light (IR off), the mini-dome is a good choice at the front door as well, if you want minimal. mini-dome

AveryFreeman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a few Hikvision DS-2CD2042WD-I bullet cameras which have always given me trouble, and I was hoping to replace them with Dahuas. I ordered an IPC-B5442E-ZE and was shocked at how huge it was when I opened the box. This would be way too conspicuous to have by my front door. Are there any good performing Dahua bullet cameras that are smaller? I noticed the 5442-ASE is a little smaller, but still quite a bit larger than my current Hikvisions.
I have a IPC-HFW1831C-PIR by my front door. Wasn't concerned about mounting issues or conspicuousness, but it definitely has those covered - it's very small and mounts to an included (tiny) camera mount, I think it's about 2" across. I mainly bought it because it has a mic + speaker (also known as "two-way audio") and some IR flashers to freak people out. FPS not the best, only 15fps at 4K but if you drop the res you can get it to 30.

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a IPC-HFW1831C-PIR by my front door. Wasn't concerned about mounting issues or conspicuousness, but it definitely has those covered - it's very small and mounts to an included (tiny) camera mount, I think it's about 2" across. I mainly bought it because it has a mic + speaker (also known as "two-way audio") and some IR flashers to freak people out. FPS not the best, only 15fps at 4K but if you drop the res you can get it to 30.

are you happy with the video quality?

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a IPC-HFW4231E-SE 2MP starlight that works well. It's fixed focal length. I don't know what "mini" means to you, but it's my smallest dahua camera. Might very well be out of production by now.

AveryFreeman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
are you happy with the video quality?
Yeah, totally. It's not as nice as my IPC-T5442TM-AS cameras because of smaller sensor - those have been my go-to for sure. But it's actually pretty nice during the day. Here's some examples:

Client_njtYHj4ari.jpg
IPC-HFW1831C-PIR mini-bullet w/ 2-way audio (at 8MP downsampled by VMS client)

Client_nFTvorvH7W.jpg
IPC-T5442TM-AS starlight (at 4MP downsampled by VMS client)

You can tell the IPC-T5442TM-AS lets in quite a bit more light and the IPC-HFW1831C-PIR has a softer, less well-defined character to it, but they both look really nice to my eye.

Here's nighttime:

1619128130585.png

I don't think I've ever tested the IPC-HFW1831C-PIR's IR because it's right next to the porch light, we put some tinfoil in the lamp shade facing the camera so there wouldn't be glare. But I do admit it kind of sucks. It would be nice if there was a way I could get better definition outside of close range, I might start a thread about it and see what people say.

Client_FnXnwUa3i5.jpg
The IPC-T5442TM-AS stays in color even ~20ft from the porch light, it's enough that the IR never kicks in. It's seriously bad-a$$. I don't think there's any question which is better at night vision. But there's few competitors, it's kind of comparing apples with oranges in that respect.