Good wifi camera for front porch table?

99ls1tj

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looking for a decent camera to set on a front porch table. It needs to be wifi and onvif, but I have power available. I think I'll be okay with an indoor camera, and it needs to be black. I'm using a foscam R2C now, but I'm not happy with the quality. Any recommendations? Thanks

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Why not use a powerline adapter and send the data over the electric line? That is a much better choice than a wifi camera.

Wifi is problematic for surveillance cameras because they are always streaming and passing data. And the data demands go up with motion and then you lose signal. A lost packet and it has to resend. It can bring the whole network down if trying to use it through a wifi router. And then you are far enough away that you would not have full signal, and it will slow your whole system down.

Unlike Netflix and other streaming services that buffer a movie, these cameras do not buffer up part of the video, so drop outs are frequent. You would be amazed how much streaming services buffer - don't believe me, start watching something and unplug your router and watch how much longer you can watch NetFlix before it freezes. Now do the same with a wifi camera and it is fairly instantaneous (within the latency of the stream itself)...

Most consumer grade wifi routers are not designed to pass the constant video stream data of cameras, and since they do not buffer, you get these issues.

I wouldn't recommend an indoor camera because even if the porch is covered, unless the porch is enclosed, the camera will still be susceptible to condensation with temp changes. Maybe the camera last 2 years, maybe 10, maybe 6 months.

99ls1tj

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Why not use a powerline adapter and send the data over the electric line? That is a much better choice than a wifi camera.

Wifi is problematic for surveillance cameras because they are always streaming and passing data. And the data demands go up with motion and then you lose signal. A lost packet and it has to resend. It can bring the whole network down if trying to use it through a wifi router. And then you are far enough away that you would not have full signal, and it will slow your whole system down.

Unlike Netflix and other streaming services that buffer a movie, these cameras do not buffer up part of the video, so drop outs are frequent. You would be amazed how much streaming services buffer - don't believe me, start watching something and unplug your router and watch how much longer you can watch NetFlix before it freezes. Now do the same with a wifi camera and it is fairly instantaneous (within the latency of the stream itself)...

Most consumer grade wifi routers are not designed to pass the constant video stream data of cameras, and since they do not buffer, you get these issues.

I wouldn't recommend an indoor camera because even if the porch is covered, unless the porch is enclosed, the camera will still be susceptible to condensation with temp changes. Maybe the camera last 2 years, maybe 10, maybe 6 months.
Thank you for the input! I haven't had any problems with the foscam I am using in this location with BI. It's really just a supplement to my wired cameras. I understand what you're saying about the indoor camera. It is possible a hard rain with a lot of wind would destroy it.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
This one isn't bad and there is also a 4MP available. I use it on ethernet, not WiFI. Some members have used these outside, in protected locations, and it works fine. I plan on moving mine out to an unheated shed and expect no problems. Like wittaj said, WiFi is far from ideal for a surveillance camera. One will work, two will start showing dropouts and three will start showing no connections too often.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1^^.
I've had a IP2M-841 sitting on a plant stand on my front porch looking at package deliveries for 3 years now; winters around 28 to 40 degrees and summers 70 to 95; it's out of the direct rain and sun and has worked flawlessly during that time.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
....."winters around 28 to 40 degrees and summers 70 to 95;..."
Thats the inside temp inside my room in the basement in Minnesota. :winktongue:
Oh, I hear ya..... but cams like it somewhere in-between the extremes and I wanted to let the OP know that this indoor-rated cam can exist outdoors under ideal conditions.

99ls1tj

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was looking into this, but I don't think there's a way I can use a PLA with my outlet and keep it somewhat neat looking. I'm open to suggestions if I'm missing something. IMG_5230.jpgIMG_5230.jpg

Not the best picture.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, you would probably have to mount the adapter right next to it.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

99ls1tj

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks Tony. I would still need to power the camera too, right? Too bad there’s not a device like this that does Poe (Unless there is something I am not aware of).

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is literally what the powerline adapter does - provides power to the camera and turns the electric lines into data lines and you plug a POE camera into it on one end and hook the adapter to the switch/router on the other end to get the data and video stream.

99ls1tj

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That is literally what the powerline adapter does - provides power to the camera and turns the electric lines into data lines and you plug a POE camera into it on one end and hook the adapter to the switch/router on the other end to get the data and video stream.
Thanks. I assumed they just sent the Ethernet signal and the camera would still need power. So I can use the PLA Tony posted the picture of with a POE camera and just run an Ethernet cable to the PLA?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am not familiar with that one, but if it doesn't, you can certainly find one that does. I use an older one by Logitech going strong for over 10 years.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score