Got volunteered for a project, I need some advice

RBen

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

I got volunteered for a project so I'm looking for a few advice.

I'd like to setup a hunting camera but I'm concerned about the large FoV and low light performance and it's something that hes unlikely to use again so a dahua cam would be better imho. I can't recommend him a Lorex 4cams kit since all I can find is 4mp w/ 2.4mm lenses and he doesn't need 4 cams anyway. It's in a wooded area and the camera will point towards his private road.

I have no other choice than to install one of the camera in a tree, what precaution should I take? It might only be a temporary and sketchy setup since the ground is frozen.

So I'm thinking of ordering one or two of the following (varifocal, 2mp, good low light perf):

Aliexpress.com : Acquista Starlight 2.7mm ~ 12mm lente motorizzata 2MP WDR IR Eyeball Telecamera di Rete IPC HDW5231R Z, trasporto libero del DHL da Fornitori network camera affidabili su Empire Technology Co., Ltd

Aliexpress.com : Acquista IPC HDW5231R ZE 2MP WDR IR Eyeball Telecamera di Rete IPC HDW5231R ZE, trasporto libero del DHL da Fornitori network camera affidabili su Empire Technology Co., Ltd

If it's still too expensive for him (fixed lens):

Aliexpress.com : Acquista 2017 vendita Superiore camera 2MP IR Eyeball Telecamera di Rete IPC HDW4231EM AS trasporto libero del DHL da Fornitori network camera affidabili su Empire Technology Co., Ltd

If I buy one camera, I'm thinking of setting up motion detection and inserting a 32GB SD card as primary storage w/o connecting it to a network. Would that cause any issues? I know that it's kind of a pain in the ass to retrieve the SD card though. If I were to purchase two cameras, what Dahua NVR should I buy?

Thoughts?

Thanks

Last edited:

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
Stick with the Dahua 5231R-Z. It has excellent performance both night and day. It is a little pricey for a potential one time use, but this stuff gets addictive so it may end up being added to rather than taken down. Dahua comes with software that can run on any Windows machine and act as an NVR complete with motion detection. If you're running wire, just run a CAT5 or CAT6, weatherproof, cable and use PoE. A simple PoE injector will do fine for a single camera install. If you want a good price and good service buying the Dahua, contact Andy at Empire Security. He's very good and is on this board all the time. kingsecurity2014@163.com Let him know you're on IPCamTalk.

If you're going to mount to a tree I assume you'll be stringing cable from tree to tree. If you do that do not pull the cable tight and do not anchor it directly to a tree. Leave some sag in the wire and, where you attach to a tree for support, wrap the cable with a steel "carrier wire on both sides of the attachment point to form a strain relief without pinching the cable. Of course, make sure it's high enough off the ground not to act as a garrote or get easily ripped down by vandals.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello,

I got volunteered for a project so I'm looking for a few advice.

My neighbor wants to install a camera (maybe 2) to catch someone operating a large snowblower blowing snow on his lawn.

I'd like to setup a hunting camera but I'm concerned about the large FoV and low light performance and it's something that hes unlikely to use again so a dahua cam would be better imho. I can't recommend him a Lorex 4cams kit since all I can find is 4mp w/ 2.4mm lenses and he doesn't need 4 cams anyway. It's in a wooded area and the camera will point towards his private road.

I have no other choice than to install one of the camera in a tree, what precaution should I take? It might only be a temporary and sketchy setup since the ground is frozen.

So I'm thinking of ordering one or two of the following (varifocal, 2mp, good low light perf):

Aliexpress.com : Acquista Starlight 2.7mm ~ 12mm lente motorizzata 2MP WDR IR Eyeball Telecamera di Rete IPC HDW5231R Z, trasporto libero del DHL da Fornitori network camera affidabili su Empire Technology Co., Ltd

Aliexpress.com : Acquista IPC HDW5231R ZE 2MP WDR IR Eyeball Telecamera di Rete IPC HDW5231R ZE, trasporto libero del DHL da Fornitori network camera affidabili su Empire Technology Co., Ltd

If it's still too expensive for him (fixed lens):

Aliexpress.com : Acquista 2017 vendita Superiore camera 2MP IR Eyeball Telecamera di Rete IPC HDW4231EM AS trasporto libero del DHL da Fornitori network camera affidabili su Empire Technology Co., Ltd

If I buy one camera, I'm thinking of setting up motion detection and inserting a 32GB SD card as primary storage w/o connecting it to a network. Would that cause any issues? I know that it's kind of a pain in the ass to retrieve the SD card though. If I were to purchase two cameras, what Dahua NVR should I buy?

Thoughts?

Thanks
As @awsum140 suggested, stick with Andy and either of the first two cams in your post. It won't cause issues, but You have to get power to the cam anyway, so why not POE, and then the cam can be viewed from a computer.
Differences in the two cams:
Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
Have a look on Amazon or FleaBay for a PoE injector. Tons on both and under $20 and as low as $10.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My neighbor wants to install a camera (maybe 2) to catch someone operating a large snowblower blowing snow on his lawn.
Around me you can actually be fined for shoveling/snowblowing snow into the street. It's one of those things that's almost never enforced. It's an effort to prevent the little icebergs that from in the gutter / street when people push all their snow into the street.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'd consider using some HUGE black, UV-stabilized nylon wire ties ("zip ties") like these ==>> here to mount cam around tree and cable at other points as required. These are 26" long, about 30 cents USD apiece, you can daisy-chain them ("in series") as needed for length, not very obvious (except maybe on a river birch or the like with very light bark) and easily removed during the process of getting the camera at optimum height, azimuth and elevation. They should be easy on the tree and also not cut the cable. They are rated at 200 lbs.

black26wiretie.jpg

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
Wire ties/cable wraps will produce a pinch point,where the wire passes under the tie, on the cable. Trees sway in the wind and that, almost constant, motion will, at one point or another, break a wire and disable the camera. I learned the hard way. They can certainly be used for the camera and to attach the steel carrier wire without being intrusive to the tree though. Even smaller ones, but strong enough ones, can be daisy chained to reach around any diameter tree.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wire ties/cable wraps will produce a pinch point,where the wire passes under the tie, on the cable. Trees sway in the wind and that, almost constant, motion will, at one point or another, break a wire and disable the camera.
All very true. I learned how to use 3 ties, one around the post, another encircling that tie at right angle and then back to itself, making an small open loop, pass cable thru that small loop, then secure cable to that small loop with a third tie. Tree sways, adequate cable slack moves with tree sway, cable not pinched, cable never arced smaller than 12" radius. I also learned the hard way (those are the BEST lessons).

That being said, I would only use the above as a temporary measure: buried conduit with an outdoor-rated cable in it would be the way to go for the long haul.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
I did 200 feet of trench, with a shovel, and installed conduit for my two camera down in the "lower" front yard. I had the cable strung n the trees for a few years, but got tired of replacing cable. Worst one was when a really large branch, as in need a chainsaw to cut it up, fell during a bad storm and took out both lines.

Think of how electrical transmission wires are attached to the insulators. That's what I'm trying to get across. The wire, itself, doesn't attach but the "carrier" wrap of steel wire does. Eliminates all possible pinch points and distributes the strain to a much larger area. I hung an overhead CAT5 cable, yesterday, and did that. Took about five minutes at each end of the anchor points which are about 100 feet apart. No matter how you do it with a wire tie, all the force is, eventually, concentrated in one small area. I know, they don't call me "Mr. Overkill" for nothing.

RBen

n3wb
Reaction score

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I did 200 feet of trench, with a shovel, and installed conduit for my two camera down in the "lower" front yard. I had the cable strung n the trees for a few years, but got tired of replacing cable. Worst one was when a really large branch, as in need a chainsaw to cut it up, fell during a bad storm and took out both lines.

Think of how electrical transmission wires are attached to the insulators. That's what I'm trying to get across. The wire, itself, doesn't attach but the "carrier" wrap of steel wire does. Eliminates all possible pinch points and distributes the strain to a much larger area. I hung an overhead CAT5 cable, yesterday, and did that. Took about five minutes at each end of the anchor points which are about 100 feet apart. No matter how you do it with a wire tie, all the force is, eventually, concentrated in one small area. I know, they don't call me "Mr. Overkill" for nothing.
No, I totally understand what you are talking about, believe me. I installed overhead street lighting and traffic signal telemetry wiring for over 31 years. Once there was a public 2 lane bridge out in N. Calif., had to detour traffic to a private 1 lane bridge at a vineyuard, install temp. traffic signal on both ends of bridge to allow 1 direction at a time (take turns), screwed porcelain insulators to trees, laid the 12 conductor #14 cable against it, used solid #10 copper to create the type of wrap you speak of. I learned of that concept during my first 20 months as a trainee in Clayton Co., Georgia where I was setting creosote-treated wooden traffic signal poles, hanging 3/8" galvanized messenger wire, setting expanding anchors and back guys, using Klein grips, "Come-along" (chain hoist), 3-bolt clamps and those friction fan-wraps. All that was used to create 12 signalized intersections. I do not miss any of that work. VERY glad I got it over when I was young. But I found my occupation, I enjoyed it, was good at it and they PAID me to do it...the trifecta! :lol:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No, I totally understand what you are talking about, believe me. I installed overhead street lighting and traffic signal telemetry wiring for over 31 years. Once there was a public 2 lane bridge out in N. Calif., had to detour traffic to a private 1 lane bridge at a vineyuard, install temp. traffic signal on both ends of bridge to allow 1 direction at a time (take turns), screwed porcelain insulators to trees, laid the 12 conductor #14 cable against it, used solid #10 copper to create the type of wrap you speak of. I learned of that concept during my first 20 months as a trainee in Clayton Co., Georgia where I was setting creosote-treated wooden traffic signal poles, hanging 3/8" galvanized messenger wire, setting expanding anchors and back guys, using Klein grips, "Come-along" (chain hoist), 3-bolt clamps and those friction fan-wraps. All that was used to create 12 signalized intersections. I do not miss any of that work. VERY glad I got it over when I was young. But I found my occupation, I enjoyed it, was good at it and they PAID me to do it...the trifecta! :lol:
One of many vanishing skills I bet.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
One of many vanishing skills I bet.
Vanishing, is right...including my memory. As an example of that, later I remembered what we called those pre-formed, galvanized wraps that had an abrasive bonded to the metal so it would grip the messenger cable and add a loop to the end of the cable...."dead ends". But it has been 45 years and I'm sure I've forgotten other stuff...I just don't know what it is.....YET!

It's getting to where I can't work on tiny items especially laptops, replacing screens, cleaning out CPU fans, etc....anything involving complete disassembly and re-assembly of tiny parts and screws....no feeling in my fingertips. Oh, well... I had a good run, no complaints! :banghead:
TVC-0000001538-mdeadends.jpg H-PLPGFDE2121-1-4-FALSE-D_E_-2.jpg

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
Here's a photo of one of my "lower front yard" overview cameras. It's mounted to a standard 4", weatherproof, electrical box by a 4", weatherproof, cover. The cable is in 3/4" sealtite and that converts to conduit, once underground, back to the house. Keep in mind this is a permanent installation, not a temporary like you are working on, but using some form of enclosure gives solid protection to the RJ45 connection and could be done for a temporary setup as well, just mount the box to a piece of 2x4 and strap the 2x4 to the tree. Of course, the sealtite and conduit wouldn't be used.20171204_112406.jpg

The trench was still open when this photo was taken which is why there is rope strung around the tree.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks. Ya know, I though about camo paint and decided nahhh, and I had the brown on hand. It's pretty much invisible at night other than the IR lights.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Vanishing, is right...including my memory. As an example of that, later I remembered what we called those pre-formed, galvanized wraps that had an abrasive bonded to the metal so it would grip the messenger cable and add a loop to the end of the cable...."dead ends". But it has been 45 years and I'm sure I've forgotten other stuff...I just don't know what it is.....YET!

It's getting to where I can't work on tiny items especially laptops, replacing screens, cleaning out CPU fans, etc....anything involving complete disassembly and re-assembly of tiny parts and screws....no feeling in my fingertips. Oh, well... I had a good run, no complaints! :banghead:
View attachment 25873 View attachment 25874
Sorry Tony, I didn't mean you had diminishing skills, I meant the workforce in general. ;)
I'm surprised you have any finger tips left! :)