Grandstream GDS3710 works well now

fresnoboy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Folks, I know prior users had issues with the GDS3710 as mentioned in this thread: (Grandstream Doorbell / Video Intercom GDS3710 - Do not buy), but I just installed 2 of these as gate conrollers and have them hooked to BlueIris 5 with no issues at all, at least with the 1.0.7.7 software load.

Because one is controlling a gate controller, and the other controls access to a pedestrian gate, I needed a solution that a normal doorbell camera system is not well suited for. The GDS 3710 has 2 sets of relay contacts that can be controlled, as well as an web API that allows opening and closing of the contacts via HTTP commands. I also have a grandstream PBX (the UCM6204), and when set up properly on their GXP VOIP phones (not the android ones) when the doorbell is pressed, the phones inside ring and you get to see the low res image on the phone, and can open the doors from the phones. Very nice!

The GDS 3710 also supports access by keycode, or an RFID card, which again is very useful.

When given the IP address and username and password during adding a camera, BI probes the camera, finds the RTSP stream, and configures access and codecs for audio and video just fine. Even though the camera has streams 1, 2 and 3, the stream you want to record is 0 (which maps to stream 1, 2 maps to stream 2, 3 maps to stream 3, etc...). BI detects motion fine on the camera.

Image looks decent, but the camera doesn't have any IR sensors, and when it's really dark, it doesn't see much without external illumination of some sort. Overall, for the set of functions it does, I am pretty impressed. Support on the forums at grandstream is decent, though not great. And they are constantly upgrading the software, and fixing bugs all the time. I am sure the early versions of the camera software were bad, but the camera seems quite solid now and stable.

For folks looking for something like this door unit, I think you should try it. It's a lot cheaper than a doorbird system and has better functionality.

Thanks,
mike

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Folks, I know prior users had issues with the GDS3710 as mentioned in this thread: (Grandstream Doorbell / Video Intercom GDS3710 - Do not buy), but I just installed 2 of these as gate conrollers and have them hooked to BlueIris 5 with no issues at all, at least with the 1.0.7.7 software load.

Because one is controlling a gate controller, and the other controls access to a pedestrian gate, I needed a solution that a normal doorbell camera system is not well suited for. The GDS 3710 has 2 sets of relay contacts that can be controlled, as well as an web API that allows opening and closing of the contacts via HTTP commands. I also have a grandstream PBX (the UCM6204), and when set up properly on their GXP VOIP phones (not the android ones) when the doorbell is pressed, the phones inside ring and you get to see the low res image on the phone, and can open the doors from the phones. Very nice!

The GDS 3710 also supports access by keycode, or an RFID card, which again is very useful.

When given the IP address and username and password during adding a camera, BI probes the camera, finds the RTSP stream, and configures access and codecs for audio and video just fine. Even though the camera has streams 1, 2 and 3, the stream you want to record is 0 (which maps to stream 1, 2 maps to stream 2, 3 maps to stream 3, etc...). BI detects motion fine on the camera.

Image looks decent, but the camera doesn't have any IR sensors, and when it's really dark, it doesn't see much without external illumination of some sort. Overall, for the set of functions it does, I am pretty impressed. Support on the forums at grandstream is decent, though not great. And they are constantly upgrading the software, and fixing bugs all the time. I am sure the early versions of the camera software were bad, but the camera seems quite solid now and stable.

For folks looking for something like this door unit, I think you should try it. It's a lot cheaper than a doorbird system and has better functionality.

Thanks,
mike
Does the talk function work with BI?
What hardware revision do you have?

fresnoboy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Does the talk function work with BI?
What hardware revision do you have?
Hardware rev is 1.7A. Not sure of what you mean by the talk function working with BI. Members of the household interact with visitors using the phones which are in rooms and on mobile devices (e.g. GSWAVE), and not BI. I use BI primarily as an NVR, and with hooks to homeseer.

I've only been running this for a few weeks, but so far running well. I confess I'm not a power user of BI yet, so I am only beginning to understand all it's capabilities.

Thanks!
Mike

fresnoboy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes, working great with blueiris. I now have card access running, and its great to give out cards and not just settle for number codes, etc...

The software keeps getting better, though it would be nice to have an IR illuminator included.

fresnoboy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Makes sense since the keypad has a bunch of white LED's in that provide local illumination for the user to type codes and such, but they also provide enough light to illuminate anyone close enough to the keypad to touch it.

I use it as a regular camera in the daytime for blue-iris, and at night it captures anyone close enough to press the doorbell, but not for area surveillance.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Looks like Grandstream overlooked night time performance. It was starting to sound attractive. Oh well, still no really viable doorbell camera solution yet.

fresnoboy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well, for a doorbell, I have found its functionality is extremely good, even at night. But it won't take the place of a regular Dahua camera.

HeiX

n3wb
Reaction score
Mike, I bought one of these for use as a gate entry panel and have had it set up in my office for a week. It's a nice piece of hardware and the camera quality is quite good. I'm a SIP/VOIP newbie, so I wasn't sure if I could rig up a connection using my ObiHAI 202 w/Google Voice: nope. I now know I would have to set up an IP PBX and, I believe, a SIP trunk. This is no problem if I'm sure in advance I can get all the pieces to fire correctly. I can see that I could use it without either of those by just using a peer connection to one of their IP phones as a station/monitor. This is clearly what you did. But for my application it is mandatory that I be able be notified, and remotely open, via a cell phone. Did/have you tried this? If so, what did you use? Their mobile app sucks so much power it is totally unusable. I installed it without setting up a connection and it consumed 2/3 of my total battery usage doing nothing but running in background. I believe I could use another soft phone app (once I set up a PBX & Trunk service) but I'm not sure how I'd fire the door relay. Tech support pointed out I can send DTMF tones: I'm not sure how difficult that would be from a soft phone app.

Any advice/experience/guidance from anyone would help!

fresnoboy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Mike, I bought one of these for use as a gate entry panel and have had it set up in my office for a week. It's a nice piece of hardware and the camera quality is quite good. I'm a SIP/VOIP newbie, so I wasn't sure if I could rig up a connection using my ObiHAI 202 w/Google Voice: nope. I now know I would have to set up an IP PBX and, I believe, a SIP trunk. This is no problem if I'm sure in advance I can get all the pieces to fire correctly. I can see that I could use it without either of those by just using a peer connection to one of their IP phones as a station/monitor. This is clearly what you did. But for my application it is mandatory that I be able be notified, and remotely open, via a cell phone. Did/have you tried this? If so, what did you use? Their mobile app sucks so much power it is totally unusable. I installed it without setting up a connection and it consumed 2/3 of my total battery usage doing nothing but running in background. I believe I could use another soft phone app (once I set up a PBX & Trunk service) but I'm not sure how I'd fire the door relay. Tech support pointed out I can send DTMF tones: I'm not sure how difficult that would be from a soft phone app.

Any advice/experience/guidance from anyone would help!

Well, I have mine hooked to my grandstream PBX, and that works well. You don't need a SIP trunk from the GDS3710 if you are running it into a PBX (which presumably has a SIP trunk or POTS line, something to connect it to the PSTN. If you don't have a PBX, and all you care about is connecting to a single cell phone, you can use a SIP connection to a VOIP app on your phone. Your mobile number won't ring, but the VOIP app should ring.

Note, if you try and do the latter, unless your GDS3710 is directly attached to an ISP, it is probably going through a NAT connection, so VOIP has to be configured properly to do that. PBX's are pretty cheap[p, and you can run open source ones on Raspberry Pis, etc...

The downside to these devices that are not cloud connected is you have to make the connectivity work yourself instead of Nest or Ring etc... making all that work for you. have you posted on the grandstream forum? I'm not a SIP expert, but folks there are pretty competent and if you outline what you are trying to do they will give you a good lead on getting there.

I do know its possible to set it up so a set of DTMF tones will open the door when you are talking to someone, if you can make the end to end voice path work.

thx
mike

bamalee

n3wb
Reaction score
Mike,
I am trying to use a Grandstream GDS3710 with a Grandstream UCM6202 as a gate entry system for a rural property. I need to use the Grandstream Wave app on my iPhone devices that are on my local network and when we are away on cellular networks. The problem is, I have no idea how to set up the sip extensions etc. Can you point me to any tutorials to help set this up.
Thanks,
Lee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamalee

n3wb
Reaction score
Lee, here is a page that has a bunch of info on the GS family : Resource by product | Grandstream Networks Specifically, this file talks about configuring the app to deal with the camera and unlocking gates/doors etc:
Is that helpful?

thx
mike
Mike,
I am sure that will be very helpful. I will check it out when I get home from work. Thank you very much!
Lee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk