Greatings from New Orleans.

Nick70068

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am planning to move to newly built house in southern Alabama and I want to get a nice PoE NVR. I have looked at the Dahua NVR5208-8P-4KS2 that supports h.265. I will require remote view access from my Android phone or Windows 10 laptop. I noticed IPcam store is selling an 8 channel unit. Does anyone have this unit? Any recommendation?

Now my newbie question. Since this NVR supports h.265 recording, does that mean I can use h.264 cameras and let the NVR do the conversion to h.265? Or do I have to purchase h.265 cameras to record with h.265 compression.

Any information is greatly appreciated!
Nick

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome to IPCT, fellow Alabamian (or soon to be)!:welcome:

Let's turn that IPCT NVR question over to someone that can either answer your question or find someone that does....You there @Mike ?

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
Hello Nick, welcome to the forum. I'm with @TonyR , hopefully someone with experience in this will answer for you.

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
I am planning to move to newly built house in southern Alabama and I want to get a nice PoE NVR. I have looked at the Dahua NVR5208-8P-4KS2 that supports h.265. I will require remote view access from my Android phone or Windows 10 laptop. I noticed IPcam store is selling an 8 channel unit. Does anyone have this unit? Any recommendation?

Now my newbie question. Since this NVR supports h.265 recording, does that mean I can use h.264 cameras and let the NVR do the conversion to h.265? Or do I have to purchase h.265 cameras to record with h.265 compression.

Nick
Hi Nick, welcome to the forum. The IPCT NVR can handle h.264 or h.265 cameras as long as they are Onvif compatible :)

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Nick
Review here: Review-IPCT-NVR3208-8P-I2 Network 8ch POE NVR

Nick70068

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Mike,
So I can use a h.264 camera and the IPCT NVR will compress or convert the video to h.265? The reason I am asking I am on a tight budget since my new house went far over budget.
I will have a maximum of 8 cameras, either all 4K or a combination of 2K and 4k. But I want to use h.265 compression to maximize disk storage space.

Looney2ns, I saw the review on the IPCT NVR that was posted. Looks like a fairly nice unit and attractive price. But how does that compare to the Dahua NVR5208-8P-4KS2 NVR?

Thank you!
Nick

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Mike,
So I can use a h.264 camera and the IPCT NVR will compress or convert the video to h.265? The reason I am asking I am on a tight budget since my new house went far over budget.
I will have a maximum of 8 cameras, either all 4K or a combination of 2K and 4k. But I want to use h.265 compression to maximize disk storage space.

Looney2ns, I saw the review on the IPCT NVR that was posted. Looks like a fairly nice unit and attractive price. But how does that compare to the Dahua NVR5208-8P-4KS2 NVR?

Thank you!
Nick
You want to keep the brand of the cameras and the NVR the same, if you want all the features to work.
The camera needs to be h.265 compatible (most are these days) for the NVR to record in h.265.
If you haven't, study this: Cliff Notes