Greetings from Florida!

XTREEMMAK

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi there,

I've been a lurker on this site for a while now and finally decided to just register. I've been contemplating for a while on either setting up a Blue Iris based system for my dad's house or simply going with one of the many NVR + Camera packages out there. Based on the many conversations here and based on the advantages of more flexibility and scalability over time, I decided to take the plunge.

I managed to nail a decent powered PC on EBAY for $100 (still can't believe it), got my license for BI5, and pretty much completely redid my network (and ran new CAT6 wire x_X) to privatize camera traffic to its own VLAN, while using the BI computer as the only talking point for that network. Long story short, I've got the system set up and the network pretty much prepped. I'm currently using a crap camera to test everything (basically only going to use it as a doggy cam lol).

So ATM, I'm in the process of selecting my critical cameras for outside, but I wont post that question here in this post. I'll save it for another post.

In any case, pleased to meet you all and hope I can solve some of my problems and learn as I go ^_^.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!
It sounds like you have a thought-out plan, and are making good progress already.

XTREEMMAK

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you.
It definitely helped that a lot of the things I was researching came back to this site. I still have some ways to go (in addition to the camera selection, I still need sperate power injectors since my switches don't provide that), but we've covered a lot of ground in the last two weeks :).

I'm assuming things will go a lot more smoothly going forward, but if anything, I know where to ask my questions now.

XTREEMMAK

n3wb
Reaction score
True, but the added cost man x_X.
ATM since I will have very few cameras (3 starting, may scale to 6 max), I found this guy that looks like it may do what I need:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FYEY6SY/?coliid=I2C6K52CFMKTU9&colid=3O6ON9BV4Q152&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Don't think I'll need gigabit speeds with the cameras I choose, but just in case, this one at least does up to gigabit speeds. I already have an old 24 port switch that I'm repurposing too. I only need a seperate injector for one camera atm though.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
True, but the added cost man x_X.
ATM since I will have very few cameras (3 starting, may scale to 6 max), I found this guy that looks like it may do what I need:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FYEY6SY/?coliid=I2C6K52CFMKTU9&colid=3O6ON9BV4Q152&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Don't think I'll need gigabit speeds with the cameras I choose, but just in case, this one at least does up to gigabit speeds. I already have an old 24 port switch that I'm repurposing too. I only need a seperate injector for one camera atm though.
A good poe switch won't cost anymore than having injectors, and will be more efficient power cost wise.
https://www.amazon.com/Amcrest-Ethernet-Housing-8-Ports-AMPS9E8P-AT-96/dp/B0751K65V5/ref=sr_1_49?crid=9KC2R2Z7UBRE&keywords=poe+switch&qid=1562004843&s=pc&sprefix=poe,aps,191&sr=1-49

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.