Greetings From Minnesota, Winter Rods & Analog USB?

onthebeach

n3wb
Reaction score
Several years ago we set up several cameras and Blue Iris at our cabin. With weather running about 10 degree Fahrenheit our IR camera on the front deck showed dozens of "things" flying about. Looking out the window, ah no snow, no wind, nothing! But on the monitor there they were...To this day we have no idea what those bugs are but we got hooked on remote cameras. We named them Coon Lake Rods. By the way ther are no insects that time of year.

Living by the lake and marsh all sorts of interesting critters show up.

I know this is an IP camera forum but please let me throw this at you all. We are helping a friend who has 20+ analog cameras and I'm looking for USB port import equipment cords, whatever to hook those cameras into his new PC and into BlueIris? Has anyone here ever had any luck with something in that direction?

AMD 8320FX, Asus MB, 8GB, Windows Professional x64

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
You mean things like this?

I have not been able to identify the cause but I've seen similar on other people's videos. Once I saw one where the exposure was really long so the video showed them as long streaks.

-----

As for getting the analog cameras into Blue Iris, I do not know of any good, cost-effective USB solution, nor was I able to find one that looked like it had the slightest chance of working. That leaves two alternatives:

* PCI / PCI-E Capture cards. Can be tricky to find one that doesn't have driver issues and is compatible with your Windows version and with Blue Iris. Supposedly the Bluecherry brand does well, but you might have to go to ebay to find them. You can find some chinese capture cards if you look around on aliexpress but good luck finding one that is compatible with Blue Iris.

* If the existing DVR can stream video over the network (even to internet explorer) then there is a fair chance Blue Iris can access the video as well. My old 4 channel DVR from 2010 could do this but I have long since donated it because I don't need it alongside good IP cameras.

Either way I would avoid spending more money on an analog camera system, and dedicate any money to IP cameras. You can find 720p cameras for under $30 these days.