Greetings from N.C.

Reaction score
Good morning all,
Joined up here as it's become obvious that I need to get out of the wifi/Ring ecosystem. I work with juvenile delinquents and I've had several cases within the last 3 months where these kids have managed to get their hands on wifi jammers then start breaking into homes/cars. That resulted in a "head-out-of-arse" moment when I realized just how easy it would be for these kids (or anyone really) to identify where I live and target me or my family. Yep, I know it's been this way for years but now I see I've been putting my trust in a system that is (evidently) all too easy to defeat. I landed on this forum after reading so many bad things about brands like reolink or swann being mere toys. Coupled with the fact, I've yet to see surveillance video of a break in where the evidence even remotely met the DORI standard. So here I am, looking to put together a proper system.
Peace,
Norm in NC

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome!

Many of us have found the DORI numbers to be way too large. Maybe under ideal conditions with a stationary object in the middle of the day.

I usually cut the DORI numbers in half during the day and cut that half number in half or 75% for night numbers.

Same with infrared distances - once you increase the shutter speed, those numbers get cut in at least half if not 75%.

You can develop a system that meets your needs.

See this thread for the commonly recommended cameras (along with Amazon links) based on distance to IDENTIFY that represent the overall best value in terms of price and performance day and night.

The Importance of Focal Length over MP in camera selection

It is recommended to buy one varifocal like the 5442-ZE (54IR-ZE) and play and learn from it and then buy cameras to meet your need for each location.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Good morning all,
Joined up here as it's become obvious that I need to get out of the wifi/Ring ecosystem. I work with juvenile delinquents and I've had several cases within the last 3 months where these kids have managed to get their hands on wifi jammers then start breaking into homes/cars. That resulted in a "head-out-of-arse" moment when I realized just how easy it would be for these kids (or anyone really) to identify where I live and target me or my family. Yep, I know it's been this way for years but now I see I've been putting my trust in a system that is (evidently) all too easy to defeat. I landed on this forum after reading so many bad things about brands like reolink or swann being mere toys. Coupled with the fact, I've yet to see surveillance video of a break in where the evidence even remotely met the DORI standard. So here I am, looking to put together a proper system.
Peace,
Norm in NC
The first order of business is a good wired and monitored alarm system for your home.
Surveillance is sorta like the police, they are for after the fact.

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The first order of business is a good wired and monitored alarm system for your home.
Surveillance is sorta like the police, they are for after the fact.
On rural installs that have extra scratch for long distance cams, or preferably an outer peremiter series of cameras, I’ll find and store the local police dispatch number in there phones so when they get an entry alert they have the possibility of not wasting 20 minutes of 911 relays from wherever they may be.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Good morning all,
Peace,
Norm in NC
Great to have you here ..

Note, I would probably keep the cloud camera stuff as an augmentation to a core IP PoE system ..