Greetings from newbie

Bugs

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

Currently have a Zmodo with cloud service. Feel free to laugh. After looking at upgrade options and NVR kits, it seems Blue Iris is the way to go for me.
I'm handy with networking and windows. With the cameras and software I'm starting from level 0.
It's a little overwhelming, but this seems like a good place to learn. I'll be browsing, however if anyone has helpful links it is appreciated.

Look forward to meeting you in the forums! :wave:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Bugs

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you! Eventually will get BI on it's own server, but for now trying to get familiar with it. Going to read up a lot over the weekend.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score

Rob2020

Known around here
Reaction score
:welcome:

Welcome, Blue Iris is a great software package. I am not a techie and had very minimal issues getting it up and running. Been running 24/7/365 for over 2 years with no issues. Buy it from the Ipcamtalk store.

I like Dahua cameras, buy the EmpireTech rebrands to save money and get great support.

Bugs

n3wb
Reaction score
:welcome:

Welcome, Blue Iris is a great software package. I am not a techie and had very minimal issues getting it up and running. Been running 24/7/365 for over 2 years with no issues. Buy it from the Ipcamtalk store.

I like Dahua cameras, buy the EmpireTech rebrands to save money and get great support.
I'm feeling a bit more comfortable now. I had watched a video that went over a lot and made me feel lost. o_O Good thing it lead me here. I haven't been on a forum in a long time.

Thank you for the encouragement and the recommendation!

Rob2020

Known around here
Reaction score
Those videos will provide way more information than needed to get up and running. Most are pretty confusing until you get more familiar with the system. At default settings you will still have a very good system.

I started with a Dahua 2231 varifocal which is a common beginner recommendation. It is OK to start small and scale. Blue Iris is available on a trial basis but honestly just take the plunge. It is a bargain for what you get. Set up your one cam and server on a test bench to get familiar and you will be off and running. I run 6 cams right now. The 2231 can be bought directly from the Ipcamtalk store for about $125.

Make sure you read and study the cliff notes located in the wiki.

Buy the Dahua mount, I believe the number is PFB204W, about $15, double check the number before buying.

Added the Cliff Notes

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1 above. The default settings of BI is a very good start to get something up and running.

Then let it run a few days and see how it responds to your field of views and then make adjustments as necessary.

We can make it as simple or as refined as we like. Comes down to your level of effort.

Those of us that like to tinker can do some pretty amazing things with BI that cannot be done with an NVR.

Bugs

n3wb
Reaction score
I started with a Dahua 2231 varifocal which is a common beginner recommendation. It is OK to start small and scale. Blue Iris is available on a trial basis but honestly just take the plunge. It is a bargain for what you get.
I have it in the cart. Only thing I was concerned about was moving the license once Blue Iris goes on it's own PC. Some companies make a big deal about moving licenses.
I like the idea of starting with more of a night time cam like the 2231 since that's when the neighborhood has had issues. Thieves looking for unlocked doors. The cheap cam we put up has kept them out of our driveway so far, but we can't see much. I believe the cloud service is reducing resolution and frames. Live looks much better.

Thank you again!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The 5442 series would be a better option and not much more.

Just run with the trial version until you get the computer OR when you get the new computer, it is simply de-activate it on the old computer first and then activate it on the new one. But you must deactivate it first or that is when you will have the problem