Greetings from Newfoundland

Ctrl-Z

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I have been browsing this forum for a while now, and with all the great information I've been gathering here, have to decided to dive in and get some modest gear to try. Originally I was going to get a cheap-O Costco system and take what i got but you know the internet, there's always piles of info on what not to get and what to get. The cheap systems are analog and I wasn't so happy about starting with old tech so I have decided that an IP Cam and NVR system is the way to go. Camera info is great and there are some awesome reviews here on the cameras, which is why I have ordered a IPC-HDW5231R-Z from Andy. The NVR is my next item and I am having a harder time picking. My thought is that I can go with a better camera now for image quality and a little cheap on the NVR. I have been looking at the NVR42A04-P from B&H for $175.00 No HDD and is wondering if anyone has experience/comments with this unit or the international equivalent.

Thanks
Shane

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! Yes, the choices can be daunting! Good: you didn't buy Costco.... Pulling Cat6 is easier than coax, or siamese coax.

That NVR only supports 4 cams. Not a lot. Many, many people end up adding more cams later, more than they originally pictured. "Future proof" your system with support for 8min, or 16...

It only has h.264+. not h.265, or h.264. H.265 will save space on your hard drive.

It doesn't support IVS, ie: the smart detect features built into cameras, including the starlight cam you mentioned. MD stinks compared to IVS, eg: trip wire and intrusion zone.

It has built in POE. Some think this is nice (it eliminates a separate box, the POE switch) Some prefer a seperate poe switch. All cam cables have a "home run" to the poe switch, and a single cable running from the switch to NVR. This allows you to mount the NVR away from the cable termination and poe switch. One benefit is security - the NVR can more easily be hidden discretely.

Fastb

Ctrl-Z

n3wb
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! Yes, the choices can be daunting! Good: you didn't buy Costco.... Pulling Cat6 is easier than coax, or siamese coax.

That NVR only supports 4 cams. Not a lot. Many, many people end up adding more cams later, more than they originally pictured. "Future proof" your system with support for 8min, or 16...

It only has h.264+. not h.265, or h.264. H.265 will save space on your hard drive.

It doesn't support IVS, ie: the smart detect features built into cameras, including the starlight cam you mentioned. MD stinks compared to IVS, eg: trip wire and intrusion zone.

It has built in POE. Some think this is nice (it eliminates a separate box, the POE switch) Some prefer a seperate poe switch. All cam cables have a "home run" to the poe switch, and a single cable running from the switch to NVR. This allows you to mount the NVR away from the cable termination and poe switch. One benefit is security - the NVR can more easily be hidden discretely.

Fastb

Thanks for the welcome guys.

Fastb thanks for the info, this is where I'm a little confused. So the IVS in the camera is of no use with a NVR that doesn't support it, you need IVS in the NVR as well?. I just checked the data sheet for the 42A04/08/16 models and it has the following spec. Is this something different than IVS in the NVR, what are the downsides of this method.

"Intelligent Video System (IVS) Recording

Working with IVS-enabled IP cameras, the NVR recognizes and records video that contains

IVS data on a maximum of (4) IP channels. The NVR records standard intelligence at-the-edge

features, as well as premium IVS features that detect abandoned or missing objects, Tripwire

violations, and intrusion violations. "

Thanks Ctrl-Z

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Is this something different than IVS in the NVR, what are the downsides of this method.
This says the NVR will support IVS. Sure, the IVS image processing is resident in the cam. But the NVR must be IVS-aware, to handle IVS generated events, and to help set up IVS rules (like tripwire, intrusion zones, etc), and to display those rules in live view. The NVR also has to mark IVS events in the playback timeline.

Conclusion: That NVR is compatible with IVS equipped cameras.

Fastb